cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can now run the A/C while boondocking

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today, I installed my MicroAir EasyStart 364 into my Dometic Penguin II 13.5 btu air conditioner. Not too hard if you are handy. (I was hyperventilating the whole time on the roof as that is NOT my favorite thing.)

I plugged it into the 30 amp outlet I have in my garage, and did the 5 starts that MicroAir says to use. After finishing the fifth time, I started up my Honda EU2000i generator, and moved the shore cord from the 30 amp outlet to the Honda.

Low and behold, the A/C started and was cooling the Airstream wonderously! (Of course, I had nothing else running on 120v at the time except the converter/charger.)

The wife is now happy.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB
14 REPLIES 14

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
naturist wrote:
Do be aware that being able to start the ac at home when your battery is fully charged may not result the same in the boonies with a somewhat depleted battery. The converter will be trying to recharge that battery then and 2000 watts might not be enough.

Also at sea level it may work but get up 5-6k feet and the thin air will eat away at the available power...so you might have issues.

If you already have the 2000w generator, a soft start system is an option but if you need to buy a generator, makes far more sense to get a 3000w or larger generator, so you aren't reliant on everything going perfect.

the experience my brother and I have had with the micro air is great if coupled to a 2200 or used at lower altitude.

However as mentioned, altitude can be a problem. The honda 2000 would reliably start and run my AC up to about 3000ft. above that it would start and run but then overload after 15 minutes or so. The 2000 engine is just to marginal at altitude.

I gave one of my 2000's to our son when the 2200 came out and my brother was looking for a generator so he got the 2200 as well

The 2200 is a completely different story. The 2200 has reliably worked for both of us at 7000ft or higher w/o going full out on the motor. The 2200 has a 125cc motor vs the 100 cc or less the 2000 has and it makes all the difference in the world. In fact at 7000 ft I wanted to see what margin if any it had and turned the fridge to electric (300W) and the 2200 still didn't overload.

So, I'd say that other small generators may (or may not) have similar problems at higher altitude. something to consider when generator shopping.

Yes, the honda or other 3000+ W generators would give more margin but I'd rather lift a 60lb generator than a 100lb+ generator. And I can still couple my 2200 with my 2000 if I need to. Which I haven't had to do since I got the 2200.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman wrote:
Wife may not be happy listening to the one Honda screaming to keep the A/c running.

That Honda EU2000 will NOT be screaming running 1 AC..... not a chance
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
vermilye wrote:
Another advantage of the Micro Air Easy Start is it eliminated the "thump" when the compressor starts. The thump is what stalls smaller generators, but in a small trailer it is an annoying noise. Glad to "hear" it is gone!
That thump is the result of 55-65a of compressor inrush current. It also forces 2000-3000w inverter generator engines near/at full throttle for a second or two, not to mention the severe stress on the inverter components as it ramps up to provide that 55-65a. This, of course, is assuming the generator is even capable of starting the compressor without the Micro Air to begin with. In any event, with a Micro Air Easy Start installed that 55-65a thump is replaced with a leisurely, near thumpless, 15-20a load. May not be a big deal to some ears, but certainly a big deal to the generator.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Another advantage of the Micro Air Easy Start is it eliminated the "thump" when the compressor starts. The thump is what stalls smaller generators, but in a small trailer it is an annoying noise. Glad to "hear" it is gone!

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Also at sea level it may work but get up 5-6k feet and the thin air will eat away at the available power...so you might have issues.

If you already have the 2000w generator, a soft start system is an option but if you need to buy a generator, makes far more sense to get a 3000w or larger generator, so you aren't reliant on everything going perfect.

You mean up at altitude where it is cooler? We will take that chance.

And, for the record, we have had our Honda EU2000i for 4 years. If buying today, I would get the EU2200i. The EU3000iS weighs too much for this old phart to lift and carry. Paralleling two of the EU2000i/EU2200i units was, and is, a possibility.
Bobbo and Lin

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:
Honda eu2000i provides 2000 surge 1800 running watts.
I elected to go with Westinghouse IGen 2500 provides 2500 surge 2200 running watts. No need for the micro air easy start.

On my former travel trailer, the same generator would not start a 15k AC even with the charger turned off. I installed the microair and no problem.

It will be interesting to see what will happen on my new 5th wheel!

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Honda screaming is quieter that micro"quiet" loafing along.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Wife may not be happy listening to the one Honda screaming to keep the A/c running.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
naturist wrote:
Do be aware that being able to start the ac at home when your battery is fully charged may not result the same in the boonies with a somewhat depleted battery. The converter will be trying to recharge that battery then and 2000 watts might not be enough.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:

X2 !!

3 tons

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
naturist wrote:

True, but the converter/charger is on a breaker that can be turned off. Or, wait the 4ish hours for the converter/charger to leave boost mode. I currently have 180 watts of solar on the roof. I am considering another 180 watts.

bgum wrote:
I elected to go with Westinghouse IGen 2500 provides 2500 surge 2200 running watts. No need for the micro air easy start.

It's worse than that. It is 2000 surge, but only 1600 running watts. The newer Honda EU2200i is the one with 1800 running watts.
Bobbo and Lin

bgum
Explorer
Explorer

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, I have a small RV and opted to use an 8k window unit with the mighty little Honda. But having read about the Microair over the last couple years that is the route I would go if I needed a bigger AC.