cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Champion generator oddities

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone notice that models can vary with what Champion puts out? For example, the 4000 watt open-frame generator sold at Lowe's has a wheel kit included and comes with a 0.6 liter container of oil, while a similar 4000 watt model from Tractor Supply or Home Depot will come with some different accessories, and the wheel kit would be optional.

I wonder if this is just "skin deep", but even the engine is different. The Lowe's one is 224 cc, while the one from HD is 194cc, for the exact same wattage.

Yes, these are open-frame models... and I have yet to put the oil in and let 'er rip, so I really, really dread how loud it is going to be... but until my Yamaha is in working order, I have to do something. (Thankfully, where I am camping has a "generator row", where it is expected that people will have loud generators.)
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is more common than you think..
Ever see the appliance store ads: If you can find the same thing for less somewhere else we will refund twice the differece? (had it happen once, but the difference was only $1.00)

Well.... on major appliances like a Refrigerator or Washing machine the store name is encoded in the model number so a Model AB1223334 is identical to an AC122334 but from a different store.. Or it may be one of the numbers, or a suffix,, That way the store NEVER has to pay off on the guarantee.

in this case Lowes orders the unit with the included Accessories

So does TSC

So does ______

They each order them that way.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
People are right on one count. The sucker is loud. Thankfully, neighbors are far enough away (and have their own rock grinders), that I can stick the thing between my vehicle and RV. I don't know how clean/dirty the power it puts out, but even when it ran dry after I closed the fuel petcock, it stayed at 60 Hz and 120 volts from the built in meter. At least I can use the circuit breaker on the front as a switch to disconnect/connect loads.

It is the best I can do on short notice, but I know that if the Yamaha can't be fixed, a 3400 watt dual-fuel Champion inverter generator (#100263) is definitely in my future, just because of the fact that I can run the fuel tank dry, run it from a propane cylinder for a few minutes to ensure there is nothing in the carb or lines, then put the thing away.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Temporary? I would be asking a neighbor to share. Offer to pay all the fuel until the Yamaha is fixed.

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ugh. I just hope the voltage regulator on the open-framed Champion is up to spec. The nice thing about inverter generators is that they give you 120 volts at 60 Hz, or 0 volts, perhaps with a brief time where voltage may drop before the generator goes into overload. I can't tell if the AVR with the Lowe's model is different from other models, and really hope it won't trash the A/C, microwave, and other RV components with dirty power.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Yes yes yes. Welcome to the world of big business, marketing and advertising! This happens all the time.

Chum lee

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
SaltiDawg wrote:

Makes it sometimes a little more difficult to comparison shop if one searches by Model Number, for example.

This sure sounds the same as what they do for appliances. Small changes will mean a new SKU, a new product number.

Many moons ago, I was told this was to prevent Price Match - where Home Depot (for example) would have to match a Sears sales price. Different product number meant "different product" and no need to match a price.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Costco Coleman 4k watt generator.

Finding parts is pretty tough even though it's a Honda engine. Coleman says my SN doesn't exist (Costco special), so no help there. The small engine repair service had trouble finding carburetor parts for the Honda engine. Honda couldn't help. I wound up with a new (different) carburetor.

So, ... it's not as easy as just having a brand name, and I share the confusion with the OP.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ctilsie242 wrote:
.. I really, really dead (don't) how loud it is going to be...
A lot louder than your (presumably inverter) Yamaha.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
Both Best Buy and Costco do this all the time... they bundle something with the base product slightly different than the rest of the world does.

Makes it sometimes a little more difficult to comparison shop if one searches by Model Number, for example.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
This is a Lowes thing although I'm sure other stores do it. I've had a Kohler dealer and a Husqvarna dealer both tell me that those brands purchased at Lowes aren't the same as those brands purchased from one of their independent dealers. The serial number for a Kohler Gen. will have an L in it to designate it is the "Lowes version".