cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chinese Versus TAIWAN Hand Tools

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both and in my opinion the comparison is night and day.

Some stores like Auto Zone carry TAIWAN mechanic's tools

And then there is MEANWELL power supplies versus mainland garbage

Yes I am angry

My hand is bandaged

A mainland ratchet stripped it's brand new teeth and my hand gashed across a 4" hole saw. The ratchet was brand new.

I am going to STRIP every Mainland China hand tool and into the garbage it goes. Don't get smartass about branded tools. I am talking about Made In China unbranded hand tools
56 REPLIES 56

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Please tell Milwaukee to redesign their mandrels.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
noteven wrote:
... from the instructions: Never completely apply twisting force to Happy Ratchet in circumference of recently sharpened Glorious Sunshine saw.

:B

That made my day!

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Wanna hoot? I no sooner wrote about my hand than I boiled my knee in the kitchen. The stove is made down here and has grille work atop the burners that gets very narrow front to rear. I have been threatening to remove the grills and have arc shaped extensions welded on the grille. The pot did a full gainer to the front on the way down. Lucky me. It was not very much water. Jeezo I have got to be more careful. I've got the weak excuse that no stovetop grille like that exists on the states. Th company would have been sued until their ears popped. It came with the rental.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mex, if it is any comfort, the same issues are facing us in the USA. The hospitals are dangerous for everyone. So I have been extra, extra careful in my shop -- I don't want to go to the emergency room for stitches!!

Yes, there is probably better care here -- plenty of ventilators, at least for the moment. But nobody wants to end up on a ventilator, even in the most well equipped facility.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
At least my hand did not get infected. I am terrified to go near a doctor's waiting room down here in Mรฉxico. Not the country or the wonderful people. There are no tests no respirators no beds and only about 10% of needed nurses. The avenidas are crowded with ambulances.

I learned my lesson I think. Be more careful around stuff that can bite.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Fj12 Ryder

I have seen 1/4" x 20 bolts for tubular exhaust headers with 5/16" hex heads. 8mm wrench can be substituted. Can this possibly be the answer?
Aha, it certainly could be.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Always purchased USMade hand tools. Still have them.

For the most part me too.A large assortment of 40 year old Craftsman tools when I used to build motors in my younger days. I think I broke a 1/4" ratchet about 30 years ago but as I recall that was my fault and they replaced it. Craftsman today is cheap China junk.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Fj12 Ryder

I have seen 1/4" x 20 bolts for tubular exhaust headers with 5/16" hex heads. 8mm wrench can be substituted. Can this possibly be the answer?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
OTC is another good brand of tool but usually special purpose. Greenlee is fabulous. Seems from reviews that the quality of Stant cooling system pressure checkers has slipped. I had a PROTO single bar puller with several sets of jaws that was phenomenal. Learned early on to use good quality grease on the stem threads. Seems like too much stuff has declined in quality the way last 20 years. I can vouch for WiHa screwdrivers and impact screwdriver bits. They are as good as anything I have ever used in my life. Their bolstered screwdrivers are simply incredible. Bolstered means the shaft passes up through the handle and has a metal cap to pound on.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Always purchased USMade hand tools. Still have them.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Like I have posted dozens of times

Argue about the data

Not the person

Whenever I encounter a post that demeans someone 99%, of what that poster wrote becomes invalid and highly suspicious thereafter.

I like to see curiosity and hard data. Opinions bring forth counter opinions.

Anything that malperforms and damages me is in for it. As are obvious frauds like that "heavy2weight" inverter that BFL13 remarked was "Thunder Proof" ๐Ÿ™‚

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rustofer wrote:
Smaller than 7/16". I'm talking about 1/4" bolts with 10mm heads.
No offense, but I really would have to see it to believe it. A 1/4-20 SAE thread with a 10mm head? Seeing is believing.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
Smaller than 7/16". I'm talking about 1/4" bolts with 10mm heads.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Rustofer wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
Speaking of wrenches, has anyone else noticed that not all wrenches are truly sized the same?? I have some newer open-end wrenches that are marked as 7/16 (for quarter inch bolts) that seem to be "sloppy" -- they are fractionally too loose. Am I dreaming, or is that really true?

I don't have a micrometer to measure the perceived sloppiness.

The last 1/4" bolts I bought had smaller metric heads.
Smaller than what? A 7/16" bolt head is 11.1 mm. So a 11 mm bolt head is 0.004" smaller than a 7/16" bolt head. So an 11 mm wrench will fit on a 7/16" bolt/nut.

It's very unlikely that you bought an SAE bolt with a metric head.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"