cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chip a v10

madjack60
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2001 31ft Itasca with Triton V10.
Have any of you chipped this motor and if you did how was your experience. What chip did you use and did you install it ?yourself?
I would like to get a little better climbing power and maybe so fuel economy. increase
8 REPLIES 8

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
When I had a 1999 V-10 , I put on a complete Banks package which included headers, a new air filter/intake, an engine chip and a tranny chip. Worked great ! Drove that for 13 years over 150,000 miles on that coach. No issues at all. Did it myself-- pretty easy
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would compare the HP gains from a chip or tuner to headers, FF muffler and CAI. Then compare costs for the HP gains to see if it is really worth it. Just getting the older Ford or Chevy engines to breath better would create between 50 and 80hp gains. On a 20 year old engine are your exhaust manifolds leaking at all? If so I would lean toward headers over a tuner.

wiskeyVI
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe check out "Five Star" tunes.

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have any experience with a chip, but when we upgraded our TT in 2013, I bought a tune from 5-star tuning for my V10 Ford Excursion with 4.30 gearing. The new TT had a dry weight of 8,200. The tune made a night and day difference. It changed the shift pattern and towing mileage actually increased a bit. We towed through Colorados mountains. I could hold 54-55 on the steepest inclines with a combined CAT scale weight of 18,000lbs

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Banks did quite a bit of work with V10 tuning in MH's - their website might have archived info

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The biggest complaint most people have with the V10 is that it has to rev up to make power. I do a "chip" would make a lot more power at a lower RPM.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised at the people that want to take a reliable and near bulletproof engine (especially a 20 year old one!) and mod it to get a few percent more horsepower or gas mileage out of it without regard to how it will affect that reliability or engine lifetime.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
power and economy are at opposite ends. So, which do you want?
More power usually means more heat. Are you on the verge already of overheating on big climbs?
What climbs, just hills, or serious mountains?

Chips are different than tuners, which just dump in more fuel.
The cheapo chips u see on amazon are just little things that cut the voltage lower, spoofing the ECU. I spoofed my foreign truck by cutting voltage from the MAF. This had the effect to lean out the fuel mixture. Both power and economy increased. Exhaust temps increased but did not matter on a small truck.
If you lean out your fuel mixture your engine temps will increase. I dont think you have enough margin to handle more temps.
My method was to use a pot and manually cut back the signal which made the CPU think there was less air flowing through the intake, so it put in less gasoline (leaned it out).
I could feel the power boost as I slightly leaned out the mix. mpg went up 2-3 mpg in my particular instance, You will not see 2-3 mpg increase on a V-10.

Tuners could range in the $700 range. not worth the cost, and that is if you can do the install yourself. It is quite involved, not for the novice. I put a tuner on a turbo diesel, but a diesel has a lot, a lot more potential than an old ford gasser.