cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

City water hookup leaks

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
While boondocking, I noticed the city water hookup is leaking. We haven't used that hookup in about 5 months.
Could it be a seal in the city water hookup? I'm not sure how that hookup is connected plumbing-wise and what normally stops water from coming out of that hookup while boondocking with the water pump turned on and the system pressurized.

2009 Casita travel trailer

Thank you!
18 REPLIES 18

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per the Casita service department, it is a rivet, not a screw. Doh!
That being said, I cleaned it out and it's not leaking any longer. I think washing the trailer with high pressure must have moved the rubber seal.
Thanks!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Ooopppps

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
jornvango wrote:
Thanks!
First I have to find the tool to be able to detach the hookup! I thought I carried a bunch of screwdriver heads but the screws on the hookup look like something I haven't seen before. I'm not sure if the screws are standard across RV brands but mine looks like it needs a 'tri-wing' head. (which I don't carry)

Only 2 I've seen on my last 3 trailers are the square drive or Phillips head.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
A torx? It is star shaped. A Robertson is square.

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks!
First I have to find the tool to be able to detach the hookup! I thought I carried a bunch of screwdriver heads but the screws on the hookup look like something I haven't seen before. I'm not sure if the screws are standard across RV brands but mine looks like it needs a 'tri-wing' head. (which I don't carry)

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Beverley&Ken wrote:
There is a one way valve just inside the city water hookup, actually it is part of the hose input. Inside the fitting is a one way valve that sometimes becomes dislodged, Most common after winterzing.
The part us not expensive, approx $10. Easy to replace, on the outside of the RV, remove the screws holding the inlet, pull out slightly and replace with the new. New caulking and done.

Ken

This is true; and they make an all plastic version (which your probably have) and a superior version with a brass connection at the backside.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
a quick temporary fix is to just screw a garden hose plug into the fitting.
That's not a temporary fix, that's permanent! ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
If flushing the check valve doesn't fix it, a quick temporary fix is to just screw a garden hose plug into the fitting. If that's not on hand, an inline garden hose shut off valve or even a common 'Y' adapter with shut offs will work.

Yep I carry one of those just in case. That was after the school of hard knocks. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
Are you guys saying that the fresh water tank is pressurized?? I doubt it. The pump takes a suction on the tank the water is pulled thru the pump and comes out pressurized.

No one has said that. The water line between the water pump and the faucets is pressurized if the pump is on, or if it holds pressure when the pump is turned off.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you guys saying that the fresh water tank is pressurized?? I doubt it. The pump takes a suction on the tank the water is pulled thru the pump and comes out pressurized.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Bobbo wrote:
wa8yxm wrote:
JimR 1 wrote:
When mine leaked it was some sand or crud that got in the valve on mine there is a stem inside that I push in against the pressure and that flushes the valve out.

But I have also replaced two

JimR

The "I have no clue where they got their brains from" folks will holler that "OH you will break it if you do that" (Not true) but here is a fact.. It's already broken.. You might fix it, or you might not but worst case is you don't fix it

You depressurize the system first. If you don't, there is a CHANCE that the ring washer will be pushed out of place. Not always, but sometimes. If you depressurize first, there is not enough force to push the ring washer out, but you still get water backflowing out of the valve.

Yes I was on tank water pump off. I discovered the leak when after filling the tank and removing the water hose that the pump would not quit running so I turned off the pump and went to look. Not sure what I had there for a plug, must have been a push in type no threads. The problem was some hard water, calcium, from the campground faucet went through the hose into the valve and I could see it sticking out the valve pushed the little pin and all was good.

Glad I caught because the campground had shut the water off after my fill cold night Dec 31st Bosque Birdwatchers RV Park, San Antonio NM.

JimR

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
If flushing the check valve doesn't fix it, a quick temporary fix is to just screw a garden hose plug into the fitting. If that's not on hand, an inline garden hose shut off valve or even a common 'Y' adapter with shut offs will work.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
JimR 1 wrote:
When mine leaked it was some sand or crud that got in the valve on mine there is a stem inside that I push in against the pressure and that flushes the valve out.

JimR

The "I have no clue where they got their brains from" folks will holler that "OH you will break it if you do that" (Not true) but here is a fact.. It's already broken.. You might fix it, or you might not but worst case is you don't fix it

You depressurize the system first. If you don't, there is a CHANCE that the ring washer will be pushed out of place. Not always, but sometimes. If you depressurize first, there is not enough force to push the ring washer out, but you still get water backflowing out of the valve.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
JimR 1 wrote:

JimR

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times