cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Correcting flipped shackles

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
While trying to grease wet bolts by lifting the trailer I accidentally flipped the shackles on one axle. I've read of the various ways to correct, but usually involves putting pressure on the axle and forces the shackles back into the correct position, accompanied by a "loud bang".

Is there a less intensive way to do this not putting so much stress on the springs/shackles?
8 REPLIES 8

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I have two pneumatic cylinders that I can lift trailer with and when I get the shackles to where they were close to flipping back i used a wrecking bar to help flip them. It still wasnโ€™t easy because Id move the shackle on one side and the shackle on the other side Usually wanted to go the wrong way but I still got them right and it didnโ€™t take very long. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
I too would pull a bolt, flip the shackle and put the bolt back in.

That would be my preference, and particularly since I need to reposition a wet bolt that won't take grease.

Problem is I really don't have large enough jack stands to support the trailer. That concerns me.

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Hook up to the truck and run one wheel up on a couple of boards. It should pop back in place.

Here's a video showing using a jack. I have helped a couple of people in campgrounds do it by running it up on boards. It will scare you when it goes back in place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQrDd4tDkv8
2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I too would pull a bolt, flip the shackle and put the bolt back in.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

pulpwood007
Explorer
Explorer
C Schomer wrote:
I helped a friend get their shackles un flipped and it helped to jack the trailer back up a little and use bars, like you did. Craig

I have never used a bar. What is the process? That's what my question is.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a friend get their shackles un flipped and it helped to jack the trailer back up a little and use bars, like you did. I guarantee I'd find a permanent fix if it were my trailer. Either longer springs or move the outer spring mounts closer together... I've done both. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
The only other option I can think of is to remove one if the bolts on the shackle and reassemble in the correct orientation.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I'm aware of.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE