cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic freezer not working? Just old?

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Dometic model 2652 fridge/freezer (2 doors) that is original to our 2006 Keystone Sprinter. I gotta say it has never given us problems before now but the freezer will not freeze.

We are parked permanently in a seasonal campground, and it is level. The fridge is cold. And the freezer is cold too, but wonโ€™t freeze.

I havenโ€™t found much in the way of troubleshooting online or in the original manual.

Would appreciate some troubleshooting tips from this community, including opinions as to whether, at 15 years of age it is due to die anyway. TIA!
8 REPLIES 8

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Dometic recall had nothing to do with operation of the cooling. It was a add on safety device for the LP section. The BEST way to determine function of your refer is to hot wire the 120 element for 24 hours and then take the temp measurements. They should be below 35 degrees in the lower refer and 0 to 10 degrees in the Freezer. From your post, it appears the Cooling unit is bad. Until you do the 120 element hot wire, you will not be certain. EVERY RV'er needs 2 things. Doug
1. A Digital Multimeter
2. A Digital Thermometer

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the info now that both freezer and fridge are above spec temps, it could be the thermister needs replacing. You can test it for Ohms to confirm. You can buy a new one on Amazon, not expensive.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

coachellacanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Switched it to gas last night and left it 30 minutes, no different. Left it off for 30 min, then back on electrical for the night. This morning still a freezer that is a fridge and a fridge that is better than room temperature but not cold enough for food.

Checked the fuses and breakers. Of course, the only thing not labelled are the fuses for the fridge. Breakers are labelled and fine. Fuses all appear fine.

We are the original owners. It has always been parked permanently. First, in one campground, then in storage, and now in another seasonal site. It may have been part of recall but I canโ€™t tell since years of cleaning have rubbed off the serial number, but it hasnโ€™t caught fire!

I have no digital thermometer. We keep a small ice cube tray in the freezer. Usually it has a coin on top of frozen tray to tell us if power went out while we are away at home. The only test I have is that tray. Itโ€™s very cold water but not freezing.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
While any refrigerator can "grow old", absorption refrigerators can last many years. I have a friend that has a cabin with a 1954 kerosene fired absorption refrigerator that is still going strong.
And Iโ€™ll bet that thing has been level itโ€™s whole life.
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While any refrigerator can "grow old", absorption refrigerators can last many years. I have a friend that has a cabin with a 1954 kerosene fired absorption refrigerator that is still going strong.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
What you state does NOT make sense. The freezer is the FIRST part of the cooling unit coil and is NOT controlled by the refer Tstat. But, lets see if you have the correct way of determining the actual temp.
1. Glass of water in the lower section after 24 hours, what is the DIGITAL thermometer temp?
2. What is the Freezer temp with the digital thermometer?
They don't die from age. They either fail from running too many times off level or the Ammonia leaks out from a crack/hole in the tubing.
Are you the Original owner? Doug

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any difference between running on electric or gas?

Pretty sure you are running on elec 24/7, but just to trouble shoot, maybe try it on gas?

Just peeing in the wind on that call.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Was that fridge part of the Dometic fridge recall where they changed something in case the electric heater cracked the pipe and allowed the fridge juice to leak and if you had the gas on, it would catch fire??

I had a 2003 Prowler with that exact fridge and just ran it on gas and never did do the recall... Traded it and told them that the recall had not been done, but they were fine with it!

Anyway, just tossing stuff out there.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some ideas here if you do not have your copy.

https://www.dometic.com/assets/47/45/operating%20manual_64745.pdf

One could be the optional fan, if you have that, not running--it has a fuse they show to replace.

Mentioned is a "stuffed" feezer, needs defrosting, is in Limp Mode from a duff thermister, etc.

There is a service manual besides the operator manual with more things to check.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.