cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Draining water heater through low point drain

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
On my last trailer I was able to drain the water heater through the low point drain by holding the relief valve open. I like to do this just because it's easier and doesn't require tools. I tried it on our new trailer and it doesn't seem possible. I hear a slight amount of air from the valve but absolutely no water comes out of the low point drain. I confirmed it by pulling the plug and it was still full. We camp in some places with questionable water so I like to drain in between trips. Am I missing something or is this trailer plumbed different? I don't need to check my anode rod every 2 weeks!
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
harley4275 wrote:
After taking drainmplug out and drained , you can stick a small hose into hole and siphon out the remaining water,

Easiest way is to leave the drain plug removed and run city water into the Tank and that will usually flush out that small lower level of debris. Let it run for 5 or 10 minutes. Doug

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I usually put a small hose tip in the opening and try to really stir up the water and then let it drain. I try to get as much of the crud as possible flushed out that way. Seems like there is always "stuff" on the bottom.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
After taking drainmplug out and drained , you can stick a small hose into hole and siphon out the remaining water,
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, pull the anode and open the release valve and stand back.....looks like a hydrant. Lol

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Also pulling the annode lets you see if it's worn out.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my Suburban water heater, there is always some water left after opening the drain plug. The lowest point of the water heater is below the opening on my mine.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. It does not drain because the OEM installed a check valve in the Inlet of the water heater
2. ALWAYS remove the WH drain plug to drain the WH. This keeps it from sticking(Suburban WH) and is a lot quicker. Besides, you do NOT want the usual Mineral debris back feeding into the fresh water lines and Faucet valves. There is almost always mineral debris in the HW tank.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Very easy to drain through plug or anode hole using proper size of socket with 6 inch extension. Don't take a chance by trying to cut corners!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I prefer the โ€œrushโ€ of water by removing the plug to clear at least some of any debris and draining questionable water is only step one IMO. Bleach is needed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad