cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Elect. start generator.

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
She who must be obeyed. Has decided we need a gen. as I'm on O2 24-7, I'm 79 so pulling a starter cord several times is out the window Last time edit.shut down our area was at 3-am. I work up at 330. could not breathe. At our age a small 110V generator, that will not wake the dead is needed. Our problem is what and where, any help would be great......
23 REPLIES 23

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
okhmbldr wrote:
Get the Champion with the remote start feature. Run a dedicated quality extension cord near the electrical outlet that you currently use to plug in your O2 machine. When an outage hits, you just have to hit the remote start button, then unplug the O2 from the wall, and plug into your extension cord. You're good until the power returns. (Or, move to a state that has a better power grid).

Your looking at a $1,100 plus shipping and taxes portable gen..

Not sure if this is for home use, but it seems to sound like it is.

OP will have to drag it out from storage, make sure there is gas and oil in it then start it and then run extension cords all through the home for these random power outages.

For home use and with the health issues the OP seems to have, they are going to be far better off to spend the money on a small whole house gen with auto changeover ATS.

This will provide nearly zero downtime on any priority circuits in the home and it will do this all without every needing to get out of bed in the middle of the night.

Small whole home systems can be typically had for $4K or a bit less fully installed and depending on what you have for available fuel sources you have Natural gas or Propane options to work with in that price range so you don't have worries about stale Ethanol gasoline fouling the carb or if you have gas on hand or if you can get gas.

Best of all, no running of extension cords, no need to switch devices to a extension cord and less hazards of tripping on cords or folks operating gens inside garage or home or to close to home.

Alternately but much much more expensive is a home solar powered backup power system that acts as a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Source). The Cons there are they are insanely expensive when adding up costs of batteries, solar panels, charge controller and decent Inverter with automatic transfer switch.

Grid tie typically is not an option unless you spend more money for a grid tie inverter that has "islanding" capabilities and you would still need batteries for in the middle of the night interruptions. Grid tie inverters are typically designed to shut down in the event of a PoCo interruption and also typically do not have storage batteries.

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Get the Champion with the remote start feature. Run a dedicated quality extension cord near the electrical outlet that you currently use to plug in your O2 machine. When an outage hits, you just have to hit the remote start button, then unplug the O2 from the wall, and plug into your extension cord. You're good until the power returns. (Or, move to a state that has a better power grid).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Don & Barb Bogue wrote:
I think we may run over to C, W, and check out the small Honda with a starter . I am on 4.5 l of o2 the batteries for my unit last about an hour. with 4 of them I think my best bet ie the inverter generator.The batteries cost right at 1,000 each. the cost about evens out. Wednesday a over one hundred Edd is going to shut of power for maint. Elect in cal is a joke...

Hi Don & Barb,

I have a Yamaha 3000 sIEB. If I were buying today I would purchase the Champion 3400 with remote electric start.

I would add a trik-l-start to keep the battery up for the remote feature.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Don___Barb_Bogu
Explorer
Explorer
I think we may run over to C, W, and check out the small Honda with a starter . I am on 4.5 l of o2 the batteries for my unit last about an hour. with 4 of them I think my best bet ie the inverter generator.The batteries cost right at 1,000 each. the cost about evens out. Wednesday a over one hundred Edd is going to shut of power for maint. Elect in cal is a joke...

PatJ
Explorer II
Explorer II
Re-reading your post, it sounds like you are not camping but instead preparing at home for when your local utility shuts you down for whatever reason (or no reason) with little or no warning.

If I'm that reading correctly, your not moving it and its basically life or death. In that case in my opinion I would get the Honda 3000 (or two, for redundancy.) The electric start add-on kits for the 2000 are slick but I'm not sure I'd trust a Chinese add-on kit in this critical application.

If I'm mis-reading and you are in fact mobile, I would still get the Honda 3000. And if you end up somewhere where someone has an issue with a EU3000 running at idle overnight to sustain life, I'd tell them tough ****.
Patrick

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Regards, Don

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
While pricey, for night time use, to avoid the noise of a generator, you should consider a Bluetti portable power station (lithium batteries, charger, inverter, power outlets, all in one box) https://www.bluettipower.com/

There are other brands also, this is the only one I can think of off hand.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
With no specification on power draw, we are all just shooting in the dark !

The Samlex EVO-1212F is a simple "plug and play"

Just add batteries like a Zooms 12V 200Ah LiFePO4 Battery Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery Deep Cycle

You also need a some battery cables and a mega-fuse.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
o2 generators are power hungry devices. They are essentially a compressor that is constant run. It would take a massive battery bank to run one overnight.
That's not what I find. They all have small batteries that can run it from 4-10 hours.

The internet is really something. 5 minutes after making this post I got an ad on my FB page for an o2 concentrator.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
o2 generators are power hungry devices. They are essentially a compressor that is constant run. It would take a massive battery bank to run one overnight.

There are portable units (back pack) that use less energy, but they are $3K and up. They may not have the flow rate that the OP needs.
Regards, Don

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, a good set of batteries and a small inverter/charger/automatic transfer would be optimal. Yes, it would be a lot more expensive, but no one is going to have to hook up anything when the power goes out.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Seon wrote:
WNYBob wrote:
Here is a 2300 watt inverter/ Generator with electric start.
Electric start generator

Awful pricey for a 2300w.

Since they are sold out the price must be acceptable.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don & Barb Bogue wrote:
Last time edit.shut down our area was at 3-am. I work up at 330. could not breathe.
I'm not sure what that means, but an inverter would be much better than a generator. Not too many places you're going to be able to run a generator all night.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman