cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical assistance

Cam2022
Explorer
Explorer

I’m seeking some advice on a possible upgrade. I own a 2023 Keystone Springdale(30 amp). My camper is prepared for a second ac unit( so I was told at the dealership). I did manage to find 2 pink wires, and 2 white wires running to the bathroom but the have enough slack to reach the bedroom. Is that the correct wires for a second unit?

IMG_1482.jpeg

My next questions is, if I put a second ac unit in my camper, do I need to upgrade it to a 50 amp service?

10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Not even the same power source. Fart fan is 12V DC. 
air conditioner is the other kind…

May wanna leave this one to the pros or at least make sure your insurance is paid up and it’s not parked next to your house or a forest. Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

nope thats your 12v power that feed the fan, the wires for the ac should be in the bedroom vent its self if it is prewired.  and yes if you want to run both at the same time you should upgrade like I said in your other post.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Never understood why manufacturers pre-wire units for a second AC and the RV itself is only set up for 30A. I mean I get why, its cost, but most people probably aren't aware it's not as simple as just adding the AC unit. It's a bit of a tease. If it's pre-wired for a second AC, it should be 50A from the factory to accommodate it. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

depends if they are using a detachable cord or not, some times if it is the cord that just pushes into the rv and birdsnests under a drawer or somthing they will leave it 30 amp as a 50 amp cord dosent coil up nice when pushed in.  in this case you get a outside plug for the rv and buy a 50 amp cord.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

It may be a half as** hybrid. I doubt they are doing completely different wiring in the same model. Did they put in a 50amp panel but wire both legs of the panel to the same leg of the 30amp inlet power source (kind of like a 30amp-50amp dog bone connector but internal). That would make for a simple and relatively cheap upgrade. If he needs a whole new breaker panel, that would be a significantly bigger project.

The OP probably needs someone who knows what they are looking at to check out the trailer and if needed make the appropriate changes because 30amp isn't a good plan to run 2 air/con units, even if you can get them to work, expect to burn up power cords if the pedestal breaker doesn't pop.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Wouldn't he also need the external plug installed for a 50A as well as a new 50A cord? 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

yup.  when I fixed up the power in the 1991 truck camper I upgraded it to a 30 amp panel, had to do the whole power center, interior wiring , outside plug and cord. 

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Sure but that's pretty straight forward if it's a 50amp panel. Just swap the external wall plug and run 4 conductor wire from the new plug to the panel...then it's 4 wires connected and you are off to the races.

If the panel needs to be replaced, you have to do the same plus: 

- Buy and install new panel (hopefully, you can find one the same size so you don't have to do cabinet work).

- You need to disconnect and reconnect all the 120v circuits.

- Most newer panels include all the 12v circuits in a separate section of the panel, so those all have to be disconnected and reconnected to the new panel.

Not impossible but probably 3-4 times the cost if you pay someone to do it...and a lot more opportunity to mess something up in the process.

Another complication is  many of the newer units (OP did mention 2023) , it has an electronic touch screen control panel you have to integrate.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

you don't always have to buy a new panel, they may have used a 50 amp panel (if they were thinking ahead) and jumpered the two bus bars togeather and just fed with 30 amps.  I have seen that before where all you have to do is get a 50 amp breaker, some alreay had the 50 amp shore breaker so toes ones all you had to do is take off the bus bar tie and put a bigger shore cable on.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Maybe could have used better terminology but basically what I said. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'