cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical issue

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Ameri-Lite. I plugged it into the house using an adapter last week. Everything was ok. Went out today, the microwave has power at least the clock is, no lights come on, I have refrigerator on auto, when I turn on lights the refrigerator light dims, refrigerator is not cold. Any idea thank you
17 REPLIES 17

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
The battery does not switch out unless you hit the switch to switch it out. It stays online so it can charge from the converter/charger.

No lights on shore power is both the converter is bad AND the battery is bad, dead or turned off.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
When you plug into shore power, the battery is switched out and the converter supplies 12V. No lights on shore power, the converter is bad.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
John Wayne wrote:
Are you sure everything works when you are plugged in to shore power what is the voltage at the battery posts should be around 13 volts or better, If just 12.5 or so your converter is NOT charging your batteries they will run down till your in the same boat you started with.

This is wonderful advice.

time2roll wrote:
Verify the new battery holds about 13.6 volts when plugged in several days.

Actually, the battery is not holding 13.6v. The converter is putting out 13.6v. A battery will not be over about 12.8v unless on a charger or briefly with a surface charge.

A converter putting out 13.6v continuously is a battery killer. It is a single stage charger and will boil batteries dry. A good converter/charger is 3 or 4 stage. It will charge at 14.4v to 14.8v for a few hours to get the battery back to 90% charged, then drop to 13.6v for up to a day to get the battery back to 100% charged, then drop to about 13.2v as a trickle charger to keep the batteries topped off.
Bobbo and Lin

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Verify the new battery holds about 13.6 volts when plugged in several days.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure everything works when you are plugged in to shore power what is the voltage at the battery posts should be around 13 volts or better, If just 12.5 or so your converter is NOT charging your batteries they will run down till your in the same boat you started with.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
It was just the battery. Got a new battery and everything works

Thank you for your replies and advice.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Best thing to use is a good smart converter like the Progressive Dynamics 4600 upgrade to many integrated converters or the 9200 for a stand alone

The PD4655 is so good that I installed one in my previous RV and used it for 8 years before selling the RV.

I installed one in my new RV as soon as I got the RV home. I had the converter/charger even BEFORE I had the RV.

I bought a third one, put a 3 prong cord on the AC wires, and battery clips on the DC wires, and use it for my portable battery charger at home on all of my vehicles.

With the PD4655, I leave the RV plugged in and charging the battery 24/7/365. I NEVER would have done that with the single stage charger that came with either one of my RVs (a Parallax 7345, then a Parallax 8355).
Bobbo and Lin

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You say the battery was on a trickle charger all winter
Trickle chargers come in three types

1 Too small, will not keep up with self discharge
2: Too large: will damage battery if connected all winter

3: Battery Tender/Battery Minder.. Smart enough to not damage battery however may still be too small.

Which one did you use?

Best thing to use is a good smart converter like the Progressive Dynamics 4600 upgrade to many integrated converters or the 9200 for a stand alone
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
No the camper wasn't plugged in all winter. The battery was inside on a trickle charger. No not plugged into a dryer outlet, just a regular standard outlet outside. Maybe the converter needs replacing then?

So I guess we will need a new battery too.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
surgtech56 wrote:
So if I don't have a fully charged battery hooked up, the electric won't work even if it's plugged into house current?
You still need 10+ volts to run the electronic controls and thermostats.
The converter should supply this voltage when you remove the dead battery.
Converter should give about 13.6 volts... does it?

I assume you plugged into a standard 15 amp outlet... if you somehow put the cord into a dryer outlet there is more trouble.

MrWizard
that depends on the converter ?

did you store the trailer all winter in your driveway with it plugged in and the NO battery ?

NOT a good idea
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
I had the battery on a trickle charger all winter. The battery won't charge, I tried putting it on a charger.

So if I don't have a fully charged battery hooked up, the electric won't work even if it's plugged into house current?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Often the converter is mounted to the power distribution panel chassis, in a separate compartment. If it's not there, it would probably be a deck mount converter and that could be placed most anywhere.

Without the converter or something else charging the battery, it's not surprising it's dead. It may not recover fully (or at all) with charging; lead-acid batteries don't take kindly to being fully discharged.

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
Where is the converter? Can I disconnect the battery? The battery is dead