cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical problem, flasher

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Forest River, Rockwood HW277. All the lights work properly except for my right turn signal. It’s not a burnt light since I switch it with the left turn light and it still doesn’t work. When I apply the brakes the light turns on, but still not my right turn signal. My Jeep Liberty 2005 lights all work fine including the signal light.

The hitch and other electric paraphernalia were aftermarket installed.
Hitch system is Husky 31421/319856/31995

Could it be the Electric break control (Quest)?
I have the wiring diagram for the electric jack, pigtail. It says the right turn and stop is the brown wire. But the stop works fine, it’s the right turn signal that doesn’t work.

How do I proceed in troubleshooting this problem? I have a multimeter.

All suggestion appreciated.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe
5 REPLIES 5

komodo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks myredracer,

I found the 4x4” metal box you told me to look for but it was behind my Jeep bumper not on the trailer. The box made it easy to identify the cable, it was green. I did not need to look far for the damage, only inches away the cable cut in two on a sharp metal edge. I fused it back together and insulated the wire with a wire shrink. I also moved the wires to a safer location behind the bumper. Now everything works well.

Thanks again for your help.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic. Wolfgang Riebe

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP says brake light works. Since it uses the same wire and filament as turn signals, It would eliminate trailer wiring issue.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the splice in the 4x4" metal box in the A-frame (near battery) for the turn signal wire. Also check the ground connection there. Connections/splices can be poorly done and/or corroded. When you find the correct wires and the copper isn't a bright color, you should clean the wire (stranded) with a wire brush, or better, with a chemical cleaner.

In our TT, the turn signals are connected with a 2-wire cable (ground & positive) continuous from the turn lights to the 4x4 metal box in the A-frame that connects to the wiring harness from the 7-pin connector and requires a good ground as well as a positive. You could test the turn signal lights by taking a piece of wire and jumper 12 volts from the battery to the 7-pin connector. If no turn signal on, you could try the same thing at the splice in the 4x4 box and if you can't get the turn signal to come on, would suggest a break in the wiring between A-frame and turn signal, but would be the last thing to suspect.

Could also be a bad ground connection inside the 4x4 box. There will be a larger splice of a number of white ground wires (5 or 6?) and black in the wiring harness and the connection could possibly be faulty there. Only other thing might be corrosion at the turn signal? Remove lamp and verify 12 volts at the light.

While in there checking things out, I'd suggest inspecting the other connections and splices. They are exposed to the elements and subject to corrosion plus the factory may not have done a good job to start with.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have amber turn signals on the Liberty? If you do look for a 3-2 converter around the rear of the Liberty.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
A shot in the dark, but I assume the Jeep has separate turn signals an brake lights, in which case Either the wiring or the adapter itself has a bad diode in it. If the brake lights all work, the trailer wiring is fine.
-- Chris Bryant