cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical Problem - L1 Line shows 127-130 Volts, 0 Amps

Cabo_Paul
Explorer
Explorer
Since I know very little about electrical issues, I would appreciate your analysis + possible fix(es). We are at an isolated RV park. We were running our stackable Splendide washer + dryer. We are also running our portable fans (3) + our bedroom ceiling fan.
All of a sudden power goes out. I check the 50 amp circuit breaker we are plugged into. Power is on. Breaker did not turn off. After a couple of minutes our 50 amp Surge Protector kicked back on (it has a 2-3 minute delay switch). Voila, the machines + fans turned bac on. After about 30 seconds it all kicked off, again.
We noticed the bedroom ceiling fan + one portable fan in the bedroom remained on. Probably working off the inverter.
We turned off the Dryer. In a couple off minutes the Washer + the other 2 fans kicked on. The Washer complted its cycle in 8 minutes. We also noticed we had the Crock Pot plugged in.
When the power went out again, we unplugged the Crock Pot.
We have a 2011 Winnebago Journey. It has the Master Power display. I noticed that the L1 indicates plenty of power ( see subject line above) but no Amps. The L2 indicates 112-117 Volts with 1 to 3 amps.
Does this mean we have an Amp Fuse that kicked L1 off, somewhere? Thank you, for your help. Paul
Cher ๐Ÿ™‚ and Paul :Z our Havanese, Peanut :p, and our Heathen, Lucy:p
Journey 36M :B :R Buick Enclave Toad
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is just a guess but it is based, in part, on what camping world did to me.

In a proper 120/240 volt system (A 50 amp RV is a 120/240 volt system) the two Legs (L-1 and L-2) should be "Balanced" as much as possible. This means, for example. if you have two air conditioners one is on l-1 and the other on l-2. Camping world, when they installed my inverter, put 'em both on the same leg (matters not which leg).

You have no loads active on L-1, all active loads are on L-2.. This is your first issue. There are two ways to fix it.. IF you know how you play musical circuit breakers in your power distribution panel (Move them around so as to balance.. If you do not know how, find someone who does.. I do not recommend playing around in that box unless you know your business.

Now the 2nd issue.. There is a MAJOR voltage difference between L-1 and L-2 with only a small current difference. This suggests a problem, up-stream of the surge guard, If it is a plug in unit and the plug is in good condition then it's the park side, if it's an installed it may be the park or the cords and contacts leading up to the surge guard.

ONE possible "Fix" for both, (temp) would be to swap the legs.. Again, I know how to do this,, but I do not recommend you try unless you know how.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"Isolated RV Park"

Many of these have "facade" power pedestals

Pontiac Body, Yugo Engine

Learn to use a voltmeter.

Check BOTH 120 volt duplex receptacles at the same time your rig is plugged in and drawing the same exact load as what caused your fault.

What voltages do you see at both receptacles?

The shorter of the two slots in these wall type receptacles is the HOT connection. In a correctly-wired 240vac pedestal you should see 240 volts across the two slots (even though they are 120vac receptacles). This is correct and to be expected.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
Cabo Paul wrote:

I just figured if L1 was showing 127 Volts but 0 Amps, that there was something wrong with that Line. The only thing wrong was that there wasn't enough of a power demand to use both Lines.

That's not how a properly wired 50A service works. Your rig is wired to try and equalize the load on both L1 and L2. you'll find one AC wired to L1 and the second AC wired to L2. Similarly your washer/dryer will be on one leg and your microwave and water heater will be on the other leg.Some of your outlets will be on one leg and others will be on the other leg. You can verify this by looking at your breaker panel - it should be set up, with labels, showing which circuits are L1 and which are L2.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Cabo_Paul
Explorer
Explorer
Did as you said. Turned on the air conditioners and both L1 + L2 are cranking out 16 amps apiece for a total of 32 amps.

I just figured if L1 was showing 127 Volts but 0 Amps, that there was something wrong with that Line. The only thing wrong was that there wasn't enough of a power demand to use both Lines.

I know I have stated the obvious. Thank you, again, for your timely help. Much appreciated.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
" I check the 50 amp circuit breaker we are plugged into"

THAT is your problem. IF it is NOT a double pole (2- 50 amp breakers side by side), then you are NOT on 50 amp service, but on "cheated" 50 amp service. TRUE 50 amp RV service is 50 amps on each leg for a total of 100 amps of total supply. You are probably overloading the existing 50 amp total supply and your Surge protector is doing its job. Doug

Cabo_Paul
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, for your quick response. I'll get back to you shortly.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Surge guard with protection shuts off power on HI & LO voltage...then when voltage recovers it will reset after a 90 sec. delay
Shuts down on 132V/HI & 104V/LO

Problem is with power source not with how much you are using.

Power source should maintain 115-120V......if you were drawing too much you would trip the power source breaker, your main breaker or one of the feeder breakers due to excessive AMPS

If you are pulling voltage down low enough to trip surge guard then you probably should not be running inductive load equipment (motors) cause voltage must be pretty dang low already

Monitor L1 & L2 while you turn EVERYTHING back on and watch for imbalance in loads)....might have a problem with open neutral (loose)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you surge protector cuts out at low voltage, I'd say that's what happened. You were pulling a lot of power.

Admittedly, 50a service should handle it but... never know.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman