cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical problems last night

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
So we are doing our first camping trip in a few months and last night were wokin up to the carbon monoxide detector beeping at us. After poking around for a minute i notice the lights are dim and the fan is slow. BTW, we are on ac power at a campground. A few minutes of poking around and a cranky wife, I decide to go outside and dx the battery, problem solved, lights get bright, co detector shuts up and I lay in bed thinking.... Anywho, I dont have a volt meter on me and dont need the battery this trip so will check it when I get home. Any thoughts on potential problems, or could it just be a bad battery? Not sure how old it is, came with camper when I bought i used last year.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73
13 REPLIES 13

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could be one problem. Assuming the truck lights were okay before connecting the TC. A problem in the TC could burn fuses in the truck when connected.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Fuse in truck is the tail light issue.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
You do not need a battery in your TC for those to work.

If you disconnect the power cable from your truck to TC, do the lights on the truck work properly?

Yes, and just got home so gonna investigate. Seems like 2 different problems.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do not need a battery in your TC for those to work.

If you disconnect the power cable from your truck to TC, do the lights on the truck work properly?

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
So now i have no tail lights, brake lights or turn signals. Do I need a battery in my camper to make these work, or do I have a seperate 7 way plug or fuse problem? Any input would be appreciated. BTW, I will never leave home without my VOM again!
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved to Tech Issues

Wayne

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Narcodog. I didn't pick up on that.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim wrote:
"Anywho, I dont have a volt meter on me and dont need the battery this trip so will check it when I get home."

Please don't forget that you need to have a charged battery when you are towing. If your trailer were to become detached from the tow vehicle while on the road, the break away system will not activate the trailer brakes if you do not have adequate voltage on your trailer battery. This could be a very serious problem for both you and others on the highway. Never tow without a fully charged and functional battery in your trailer.

Jim, he has truck camper, I don't he has to worry about the trailer brakes.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
wnjj wrote:
Sounds like a shorted cell in the battery.

X2.
Probably caught it just in time before it fried the converter.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
"Anywho, I dont have a volt meter on me and dont need the battery this trip so will check it when I get home."

Please don't forget that you need to have a charged battery when you are towing. If your trailer were to become detached from the tow vehicle while on the road, the break away system will not activate the trailer brakes if you do not have adequate voltage on your trailer battery. This could be a very serious problem for both you and others on the highway. Never tow without a fully charged and functional battery in your trailer.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ivylog wrote:
Those detectors are dual purpose and should also be labeled as audio low voltage alarms

Methane too. Ask my dog how I know.

Area13, look into reconditioning your battery . That might work . It cleans the internal plates.

this charger shows a 24 hr recondition cycle.
http://servicenet.blackanddecker.com/documents/English/Instruction%20Manual/Vector/VEC1095ABD.pdf

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those detectors are dual purpose and should also be labeled as audio low voltage alarms. You need a new battery (bad cell) as it's overloading you converter. Good chance you have a dumb converter that's good at overcharging your battery, boiling all the water out which is going to kill your battery if you do not refill it every month.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a shorted cell in the battery.