cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EU 2000 not producing power

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Three weeks ago we started our eu 2000 and plugged it into our fish house. The generator was running fine, but we were getting no power. When we got home, I brought it into the repair shop recommended by a local place that sells the generators but does not service them. At first I was told the magnets were bad and that replacement cost would be half of a new generator and maybe I should consider buying a new one. I told the repair man I would have to think about it. He called me called me back about a half hour later and said he went through the generator again and had now determined it was a bad stator. Cost to replace would be about $325. Today he called and said after replacing the stator, the generator put out power for a little while then quit. He told me that now the inverter is bad and he wold dell me the part at his cost ($325) plus labor. So I would have $650-$700 into the repair on a four year old generator. I am questioning the ability of the mechanic as he went from magnets, to stator and now stator and inverter. The mechanic left me a voicemail and I am trying to contact him to verify the details. Don't know that i can justify that expensive of a repair on the generator.

Is it likely that both of these would have gone out at the same time?

Upon further investigation (a call to Honda, I found out a the repair shop is an authorized small engine repair center, but not an authorized generator repair center
5 REPLIES 5

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
I just paid $112 at a certified Honda repair shop to fix an issue with my EU2000i - it would run and produce some power but would not rev up at all. I don't have the service ticket with me but I think they gave it an oil change (gas in the oil), replaced the spark plug, and cleaned the carb. I am running ethanol free gas in it for the rest of this season...
1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

bob_b1
Explorer
Explorer
I occasionally buy and sell these units. If the inverter goes (no power, but engine runs), it is a $250 part (sometimes $350). You can buy another 4-year-old generator for roughly $600 to $700 on Craigslist. I've managed to get one for $450 once. I sold a generator in a box of pieces (minus the regulator) for $150 on eBay. There is buyer for your broken generator. Do not give it away...at least give it away to me:B
'93 Itasca Suncrusier diesel towing a '05 Honda CR-V.
Bob, Pam(DW), Bridget(DD) and Christine(DD)
See you at most of the Penn State tailgates:)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
beemerphile1 wrote:
Gift him the generator to do with as he wishes and buy a new one. Sounds like if you use this guy you will buy a new generator one piece at a time. Unfortunately going somewhere else at this point isn't an option unless you pay for what has already been done.

That may be the very best course.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Gift him the generator to do with as he wishes and buy a new one. Sounds like if you use this guy you will buy a new generator one piece at a time. Unfortunately going somewhere else at this point isn't an option unless you pay for what has already been done.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
It doesn't sound like he knows what he's doing. I would take it to an authorized repair center.