cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

extending the slobber tube

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
we have an FL-60 Sport Chassis, and the refurbished (whatever that really means) CAT 3126b motor, and it's starting to blow some smoke out the slobber tube, and it's getting the underside a bit oily, as I don't have the money to rebuild or replace, and its still a strong motor I just thought why not extend the tube to the back or introduce the smoke right into the end or close to the end of the exhaust (its a weed burner exhaust down low and out the side in front of the rear wheels) is there anything I should be aware of when extending the slobber tube past the factory length and that's about to the bottom of the block
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension
5 REPLIES 5

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Why not install an Airsep system and be done with it?
Airsep
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's my slobber tube extension (CAT 3126). As Brett stated, it's important to get a down bubble to let it drain. I re-adjusted the slope after taking this pic. Over the 11 week summer trip, I got no engine oil on the white toad (hydraulic fluid - yes, anti-freeze - yes, but no oil).

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
#1 cause of excessive oil blow by is overfilled crankcase.

Have you verified that your oil level is correct? Caterpillar recommends not adding oil until level is down to the ADD mark.

And, on RV's, it is not uncommon for the dip stick to be mismarked, as the RV manufacturer supplies the dipstick. If yours is OE from Caterpillar, this should not be your problem.

As far as extending the blowby tube, it can be done, BUT (large BUT) there are some "got-yas". Water vapor is a natural byproduct of combustion and does exit through the blowby tube. So, it is important that the extension only go downhill/not have a drip loop. In sub-freezing temperatures, water vapor can collect and freeze in the drip loop and block air flow. A real no-no.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Acceptable blow by can be measured by any authorized Caterpillar shop and you can extend the road draft tube (slobber tube) to any length you want and put it anywhere you want to.

Case in point, I deleted the blow by recirc system on my 7.3 Ford pickup and added a road draft tube and ran it down along the frame rail to a mid point under the truck.

Lots of levels concerning a 'refurbished' engine from just a minor rebuild to a full teardown. Obviously, you have no idea what was done.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, refurbished means just that, the engine was refurbished, meaning rebuilt. It may have been the original engine (unlikely but possible just due to the time to have it done) or it was an engine rebuilt by a diesel rebuilder just waiting for a new home.

Second, a slobber tube does just that - slobber out a little oil and oil vapors that could look like light smoke. The smoke with oil vapors, unless extended, gets sucked into the front side of the radiator and blown through it sticking to the radiator fins which clog up with the dust and dirt also sucked through the radiator.

Third, your engine has always produced some smoky vapor. Whether it's excessive or not, only a good diesel shop will be able to tell you. Whether it's excessive or not you should still extend the tube so the oil vapors do not go into the radiator fins. Take it to a Freightliner shop and have them take a look at it.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.