cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

exterior outlet is dead, UPDATED PROBLEM FOUND

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
First of all my knowledge of electricity is very little. :h The DW and i just bought a new left over 2013 Gray Wolf 26BH about 6 weeks ago. Sunday i was working around the trailer getting ready to go on our firt outting with it next weekend. I went to plug something into the outside power outlet and it's dead. I checked all the fuses and breakers and everything is okay. Also i might add that all the other outlets work in the camper except this one exterior outlet right beside the front door. Anything i might have missed would be appreciated.
19 REPLIES 19

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually they put GFIs near areas with water, like the bathroom and kitchen and exterior. One per circuit inside. If you have two circuits, two GFIs.
Can't find it, with power off, unscrew the non working plug in and see if it's burnt or what. I venture that all the outside, outlets are or were GFIs.
If it is in a bay maybe not. There are no GFIs in our bays. We don't have any outlet in the wet bay though.

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know how other companies are, but I was able to get the actual working drawings for my 5th wheel from the old (2006 era) Holiday Rambler company. The guy I was talking to just emailed them to me. Plumbing, wiring, even a full dimensional diagram.
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most (I suspect most anyway) RV's have a single GFCI in the bathroom... I have one there, it protects outlets in the other bathroom, kitchen, dining table and patio.

Some companies however have a contest going called "Hide the GFCI(s) they put 'em in the most illogical places they can think of, completly hidden and they put in 2 or 3 just to make life interesting.

Glad you found your hidden one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
rrupert wrote:
Do RV's not have manuals with wiring diagrams. Those are quite helpful when tracking down problems such as this.

NO, generally they don't. most RV manufacturers only provide a generic owner's manual that's not even RV-type specific, let alone model-specific.

That's too bad that they don't furnish wiring diagrams. My HiLo has both 12 volt and 110 volt diagrams that have come in handy from time to time. If it was me, I would request a copy from the manufacturer. As an owner you should be entitled to it. You may need it sometime, especially if you are far away from any RV facility.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rrupert wrote:
Do RV's not have manuals with wiring diagrams. Those are quite helpful when tracking down problems such as this.

NO, generally they don't. most RV manufacturers only provide a generic owner's manual that's not even RV-type specific, let alone model-specific.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update.

Many can learn from your experience.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
And thank you for posting your results.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You all for your advice, it was a tripped GFI in the storage area. I had checked all the GFI's in the inside but never even thought about one in the storage area. Thank You all again.

bobm253
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with my outside outlet. The problem was a tripped GFI that was located in the bathroom.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
ds, I would just ding a ling the place you bought it from and say what the hey?

mikeh449
Explorer
Explorer
by law any where there is water it must be gfci outlet

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
When you find the problem, please let us know.
Hopefully is it just a tripped GFCI.

Grumpy374
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to ask the obvious....is the unit plugged into shore power?
Grumpy
Oops--mis read that your other outlets are working.