cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External Propane Tank

TheJim
Explorer
Explorer
We used to have a Class A coach and we had the extend-a-stay type adapter to use an external propane tank, so I am well aware of how that works. We have now moved to a Class B and there is an issue with the onboard LP tank not filling. It will take ordering a new tank to fix that problem. In the meantime, we would like to use the van. The onboard tank is well hidden under the van with a remote fill, so not possible/easy to use the extend-a-stay approach. There is an external quick-connect fitting for attaching a grill. So, I am thinking about hauling around a 5 gallon LP tank that I would set out and attach to the van when camping. It seems that I could use a regulator and attach this to the grill quick-connect. However, I do not know if there are any one-way valves that would prevent this and I do not know what it would do when it hit the "wrong side" of the regulator. Any experience or thoughts appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

TheJim
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I could do that. Are the any other pitfalls if I do that?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cap the output hose/pipe from the existing requlator.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

TheJim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks much. That is a bummer, it sounded so easy. There is a cutoff between the van and the onboard tank but I believe it is before the regulator (coming from the onboard tank side) so that would not help. So, I guess I am off to plan B, whatever that is.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Grill connect is a low pressure device DO NOT back feed propane into that fitting as the regulator will vent.

True story
My Class A would not fill
Turns out when he pulled the hose out of the cabinet to hook up to the tank he snagged the emergency shut off cable on the Pump system...

To fix. Shove ECO lever back to normal. Yup. really happned .

Took them a while to figure it out however and I found a lower cost propane supplier in the mean time.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times