cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantastic Fan blowing fuses

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
Fan in potty room dead. Changed fuse and it runs for a few seconds and blows again. It's about 4 years old, needless to say doesn't get used much.
Any Ideas? Called Atwood and hung for about 20 minutes, never got anyone. Left message and no one called back. It's definitely not the same company anymore, shame, they were special.
Thanks,
Fred Wishnie
Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies
13 REPLIES 13

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
KATOOM wrote:
That doesn't sound like you called http://www.fantasticvent.com/. They have impeccable customer service and will replace whatever you need.

Sadly, that is now a "WUZ" or as the indomitable Inspector Clouseau would say..

"Not Any More"

You need to measure amperage at the fan. Mine uses a max of around 3 amperes so most any digital or analog multimeter with a 10 amp capacity will work.

3-in-1 oil works great as a lubricant. Let time and gravity be your ally. Remove the fan, stand it up so the oil runs down into the bushing and give it a drop. Revolve the blades a few times. When that bushing frees-up flip the fan over and do the opposite bushing. Should last many years. This can take a couple of days allowing the oil to creep slowly down into the bushings.

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
My model is the basic manual version with a hand wheel for opening the cover. As the cover raises the fan goes on. It has 3 speed settings, but we always leave it on 1. The fan has worked for almost 4 years now, we bought it in Oct 09. We have 2 other FF automatics with rain sensors and they continue to work fine after almost 8 years, and they are run a lot.

The other day when I opened it didn't start. I checked the fuse and it was blown. I put in a new one and when I opened the cover the fan began to turn slowly and then stopped. The fuse was blown again. Did this 3 more times at different speed settings with the same result. I can spin the fan without power and it seems to spin easily. I'm figuring the motor is shorted, so we just ordered a new one from Camping World, they have it on sale now for $94. I think it's worthwhile just swapping it out for new rather than trying to take it all apart. I'm getting a little too old and feeble to be on and off the roof too much.
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions,
Fred
Fred Wishnie

phays
Explorer
Explorer
Has Atwood called you back? It's now been 4 days. That's a long time to wait for tech support.

Did the fan ever run properly? Does the dome open properly? A bit more information would help. Do you have a fan speed switch or is it thermostatically controlled. If you have a speed switch have you tried different fan speeds?

The control board in the fan operates the lift motor. When the lift motor gets to its maximum range, either closed or open, the control board senses the current increase because the motor stalls and shuts the lift motor off. If your dome lid is stuck, the control board should try to activate the lift motor and when the dome does not move it senses a current increase because the motor is stalling and shuts down the motor. A switch under the dome turns the fan on or off when the dome is about 25% open. The fan will come on before the dome gets fully open and will shut down before the dome gets completely closed.

You don't say if the dome lift is working or not. I assume it is or your post would have been different.

If the fan starts turning but then blows the fuse I would suspect a short in the fan motor and a new motor would be required. But, make sure you have a good 12 volt supply to the fan.

Canuck1
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a motorized lid opener I'm going to guess that the lid isn't opening because it is "stuck" to the gasket on the roof side. My suggestion is to put the star wheel on the opener into the manual mode by pulling down on it and then manually open the lid by turning the wheel. Once you've "cracked" the seal put the star wheel back into the motorized position by pushing up on it and then try the fan.

2002 Triple E Signature A3607GW
300HP Cat, Allison MH3000
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
It may just be stuck from a lack of use. Why not try giving it a spin before starting it and see if that helps. If it does spin a bit, I second the oil suggestion.

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
I thought I'd check for myself..... I called Fantastic Vent and yes, I was calling Atwood. Its the weekend so know one answered. But in saying that, I did more research and found that Fantastic became part of Atwood back in 2010. So with that said, I obviously was dealing with Atwood too. Dont know what to say about your situation. :h

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that is strange. Wasn't my experience. After waiting in que for over 20 minutes I got a message to leave particulars and someone would call me back. It's now 3 or 4 days and I still haven't heard from anybody.

A few years ago I had a problem with one of my other FF's and my experience was exactly like your's. Not this time though. I had read on another forum that they had been sold and the warranty and service was dramatically different.

Glad you were handled well,
Fred Wishnie

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
Strange. I called them a few months ago and they sent me all the parts I needed to fix a couple fans I have.....no charge.

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
I did call Fantastic Fan from their website. They are no longer Fantastic Fan - It is now Atwood and the customer service is non existent. What used to be the best of companies is no more.
Fred Wishnie

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
Expose the 12V power wires to the fan and put a multimeter on it - preferably one with a 'peak hold' feature. Check the amperage. It maybe that the converter is having issues and the fuse is doing its job.

I just pulled the fuse on my FanTasic Vent 6600R (just in case the 4 A sticker on the fan was wrong). My fuse is still the OE from the factory. It is stamped: 4A 250V
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

KATOOM
Explorer
Explorer
That doesn't sound like you called http://www.fantasticvent.com/. They have impeccable customer service and will replace whatever you need.

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it's a Fantastic Fan and I did call them. Hung on the phone for almost 20 minutes and never got anyone. Then a message said to leave a call back number and a tech would call. 26 hours later and no call.
Fred Wishnie

orgelmo
Explorer
Explorer
Fred,
Is this a fantastic fan, if so call them and they will walk you thru it.
Sounds like the motor is dragging, maybe you can take it out and put a little oil on shaft.
Elmer & Sharon
USN-(62-66)
05-40 QDH Tiffin Phaeton
05 Explorer Sport Trac
FMCA # 124188
Good Sam Life Member
Hacksaw, Congo Gray Parrot
Aries, Himalayan Pussy Cat
Sophia Loren, Pug Puppy
Buddy, a Gecko