cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantastic Fan Thermostat error

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I have to set the temp setting very high for the fan to come on. Is there a fix?
I found this out of stock switch but not sure it is the exact fit, I think it is. Im sure I can find this item, but would rather fix mine since it will allow the fan to come on.
Its 80 in the cabin, I have to set the temp to almost the very highest setting for fan to come on. It used to work down to the 60's or so for the cool setting if I remember.

I have seen others just put a regular wall mounted thermostat, but Im not willing to take the ceiling pieces apart to run new wires.
5 REPLIES 5

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Took it apart. The on/off switch is keeping it from dropping down very far. I can see the contacts. Not sure what cleaning them will do since I know it works. The contacts is what I can hear click, it just seems to click too late - it is not that hot yet I have to set the temp almost all the way high for it to come on. It used to come on lower.
To do more I will have to disassemble from the roof. I may or may not do that.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
If it's a simple mechanical thermostat it's just a bimetal strip with contacts, the temp adjust can set either the gap between contacts or the preload against the movement of the strip to close the contacts, I would start by removing the stat from fan and cleaning the contacts

I will try this before calling Dometic.

Side note - the fan has 3 speeds. Fast is power directly to the fan, while med and slow go through what looks like a heating element of two different sizes. I assume this "burns" off some power which then reduces the power to the fan and thus a slower speed. Conclusion, all 3 speeds use the same amount of power. Conclusion, it is better to use the high speed while the thermostat is on for maintaining temps while you are away (it will run less than a slower speed). Use the slow and medium speeds for comfort/noise level while inside.
or does fast use the least power?

MrWizard
If it's a simple mechanical thermostat it's just a bimetal strip with contacts, the temp adjust can set either the gap between contacts or the preload against the movement of the strip to close the contacts, I would start by removing the stat from fan and cleaning the contacts
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Contact Dometic parts department. They own Fan-Tastic Vent now.

https://www.dometic.com/en/se/support/spare-parts

Let us know if you have success getting the part you need.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Just slightly off topic but would you, could you, replace the t/s with an on/off switch?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)