cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filtering water for my travel trailer

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’d like to add 2 filters to my trailer.

One, a hose attachment that filters all the water coming in.
Two, a drinking water filter at the kitchen sink.

Easiest would probably be a Camco inline filter for the outside, and a water pitcher for the inside.

Would be open to something better if not too difficult, especially for the kitchen sink as I don’t really want to have to bring a pitcher with me on all my trips. But that is admittedly pretty simple.

We just sanitized our tanks. We normally go to known locations in the mountains with pretty clean water, but we will be traveling across country this summer with less known water supplies (not worried about disease, more about inorganic contaminants).

thank you
19 REPLIES 19

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Outside
ROTOPLAS ONE MICROM

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
ANCHOR CINDER BLOCK

FLOAT TRUCK TUBE

PUMP HALFWAY DOWN

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Check out these folks.

Bought all my potable water handling "stuff" from them years ago. You'll spend a little money, but quality products.

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Several (many?) years ago I adapted a whole-house filter housing for RV use. I buy good quality charcoal filters and use a couple/year. It's free-standing and while we're wintering in Texas it's housed inside an enclosure I built for it and the water softener. Works well for us. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

dedmiston
2 pack

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

soon2bexpat
Explorer
Explorer
Wiscampsin wrote:
We use the blue torpedo at the campground spigot and a Zero Water counter top pitcher.

Same here. I’m spending the summer in the NM southern mountains. I put an ice cube in a glass of bourbon. When I got near the bottom, I noticed particles floating on the bottom.

The Zero Water comes with a TDS monitor. The water here was off the chart- over 600! Made my coffee taste bad, too. After the Zero, the water tested at zero. Much better tasting. But the filters don’t last long with water like this.
Kodachrome Time Machine, my vintage photo collection from the 1940s to the 1970s: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCff0z54NyAfuAjUST896l6g

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Camco inline hose filter ... the filters cost like $5 ea if you get them on sale in a multipack, didn't expect much.

Source for those $5 filters?

My how time flies ... I bought a 4-pack from Amazon back in 2017, was $22 shipped... Same 4 pack is now $41 😞

That's some impressive inflation!

Link
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
blue torpedo?

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
We use the blue torpedo at the campground spigot and a Zero Water counter top pitcher.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Camco inline hose filter ... the filters cost like $5 ea if you get them on sale in a multipack, didn't expect much.

Source for those $5 filters?

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart has pretty good Spring drinking water for practically nothing which we use for coffee and baking.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just my observation ... things I've tried removing with the Camco inline hose filter ... the filters cost like $5 ea if you get them on sale in a multipack, didn't expect much.

Tannic acid (tannins from well water) - nope, water still brownish / yellowish after the filter

Iron (compounds) - nope, water still had metallic taste

Dissolved salts, mostly calcium and manganese - nope, evaporated water still leaves durable white residue

Chlorination by-products (the stuff that smells like pool water) - yes worked on this
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
The camco I line is fine IMO. At least I have noticed a difference in using them for a couple years.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
our HD and Lowe’s have nothing in stock. What about that Amazon filter. Is the Camco inline filter helpful or a waste of money?