cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Foam Memory Foam Supplier

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I need to find a supplier of custom cut foam/memory foam. Say 16" x 16" x 4" deep.

Regular foam I think would not cut it. A soft booster in other words with perhaps a 1" thick memory foam top layer meaning a 3" thick medium firm base.

When I visit friends, it seems their sofa cushion height is perfect for pgymy's. If I sit and my knees are higher than my rear-end I cannot rise without help. A damaged L4 disc made my right leg weak. Rather than gripe about it, I want to fix the issue.

I have looked for online bulk foam suppliers but the price they list is ridiculous -- in excess of a hundred thirty dollars plus shipping and tax and then I have to have a cushion cover made.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And for the record, I'd rather use my noodle than just give up. With my budget, mistake purchases is a real no-no. When perplexed I resort to the wisdom on this forum.
I am perfectly happy when electronics projects keep me busy. I even have a mini drill press and a lot of helper gizmos. The 150 amp charger I am building is satisfying complex but it's still a slow process. It makes the BORG look like simplicity incorporated. Because this guy has to be INTUITIVE with both analog and digital monitoring. And damned near blowup proof -- a tall order. ELEVEN click-click-click voltage settings and all dumb as hell. No "SMART" insanity.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My RV bed is 4" of Class A foam topped with 3" MF. On top of that is a mattress heater/cover, then real wool cover ($$). Most comfortable bed ever. No sweating.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a pricey supposed medical grade seat cushion with the contoured rear cutout for spine issues.
As a guess, it helps reduce discomfort by maybe 50%. Tolerate a few minutes sitting on a bare wood chair, 15-minutes with the cushion and believe it or not, just about as long on one of those stackable molded plastic chairs -- bare, without cushion.

Over the period of a year, I bought a pair of middle-grade high-back office chairs at Costco Mexico. They are comfortable without the additional pad. The gel medical pad plus memory-foam lumbar support is near heaven comfortable in the car.

But the low height is an issue with a lot of sofas (ummmm...I cured the bathroom issue with an all plastic medical seat booster).

Finding memory foam and especially gel foam is a hassle.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bighatnohorse wrote:
Upholstery shops have foam suppliers. A good shop will order what you need - or perhaps have a remnant that you can use.
And you want a high ILD foam with a medium density.
Sus it out: https://www.thefoamfactory.com/blog/index.php/the-differences-and-relationship-between-foams-density...

A foam with an ILD of about 50 will seem, at first, too firm. However, after sitting for fifteen minutes or more, it is feels still comfortable. And you don't "sink" on it.

Furniture stores don't use a high ILD foam because the lower ILD foams "first feel" is nice and soft. It sells. A high ILD foam would not make a good first impression. (intended)

However, for long term comfort and support, I'd choose a foam with an ILD of 50 (and forget about memory foam and layered sandwich foams. The solution is much simpler.)

It is not all that "cut and dry" to be able to make this kind of statement.

EACH person has a certain level of support requirements which ARE completely DIFFERENT from other people.

There is no "one" set solution to what constitutes a "comfortable" bed which covers "everyone".

Memory Foam does indeed help with a more comfortable bed for those who cannot sleep on a board or rock. Memory foam initially feels hard but you will sink into it slowly until every inch of your body is fully supported. This takes pressure off of areas which tend to get sore like back, hips and such. Memory foam gives you support a bit like an old school water bed without the weight, mess or hassle of a water bed.

There is no magic in memory foam, it simply is a variable density foam vs a single density foam. More expensive than single density foam, sure, but for someone that has joint pain it can help to make an uncomfortable situation a bit more bearable.

Combining memory foam with a layer of firmer foam under it gets you the best of BOTH worlds.

At our sticks and bricks we have an old school Somma water bed (individual tubes), that bed also had a top with a layer of foam above the tubes. Over time that old foam went bad and we replaced it with cool gel memory foam.

Then in our TT we had a custom foam bed made, two inches of memory foam (cool gel didn't exist then) and 4 or 6 inches of 50 IDL foam. For us, it is not nearly as comfortable as our home water bed, the 50 IDL foam is brutally to rock hard by its self but the memory foam does soften it a bit. We went with the 50 IDL because it was warranted longer and was touted to have a much longer life of 10-15 yrs.

With a properly designed foam mattress, you simply do not need any springs or special foundations, those just add cost. And YES, I HAVE used standard spring beds mattreses, I will never go back to them after using a Somma water bed with memory foam or a combo memory foam and regular foam bed..

I know that "Mex" (the OP of this thread) does indeed have many health problems which makes living and sleeping a living nightmare, I am pretty sure that a block of 50 IDL foam is not going to be helpful..

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Upholstery shops have foam suppliers. A good shop will order what you need - or perhaps have a remnant that you can use.
And you want a high ILD foam with a medium density.
Sus it out: https://www.thefoamfactory.com/blog/index.php/the-differences-and-relationship-between-foams-density...

A foam with an ILD of about 50 will seem, at first, too firm. However, after sitting for fifteen minutes or more, it is feels still comfortable. And you don't "sink" on it.

Furniture stores don't use a high ILD foam because the lower ILD foams "first feel" is nice and soft. It sells. A high ILD foam would not make a good first impression. (intended)

However, for long term comfort and support, I'd choose a foam with an ILD of 50 (and forget about memory foam and layered sandwich foams. The solution is much simpler.)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
Try a pillow. I sleep with this.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0156YLHII/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wife sleeps with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029LHHRW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most good foam stores can vacuum pack the foam, basically they roll the foam up in plastic then vacuum the air out.

Makes a pretty compact but heavy package.

In your case, shipping may make the cost nearly as much as your local foam shop.

Lamination is key to making a good foam mattress, our RV we have one made from a 4" thick medium density foam and 2" thick memory foam on top.

Very comfortable to lay on.

You can often easily ditch the springs with this type of mattress.

There are several online mattress stores you can check with also, Tempurpedic and Casper. I believe Casper has a 100 day money back trial, not sure if it will work for a Mexico shipment but won't hurt to ask.

YES, both of the above sellers ARE expensive but you might be able to find a deal by looking at their lesser expensive versions which should perform nearly as well but may not have a super long warranty..

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
GdeTrailer,
You expressed my exact thoughts better than I did ๐Ÿ™‚

Lamination is the key. The memory foam will contour infinitely better than straight foam. But getting the exact grade of straight foam is important. I have a bed that is a Mexican special. The bed had maybe 91 out of 98 springs working -- I laid on it and counted them. First came a 2" firm foam section. Too hard. Then a 3" medium foam, still too firm. Then I doubled over a king mattress memory foam and like Goldilocks, absolutely perfect. But the memory foam was imported from the USA so what I got was all there was.

Four inches of some soft grades collapses to an inch, no stinky bueno and if it's too firm I stay 4" higher and the foam does not do anything but cause pain.

We have a local foam store but the prices are not friendly. Single-bed bare foam width and six feet long cost me over a hundred fifty dollars then a memory foam 2" was another hundred and something. There is a type of upholstery called "Theater Fabric" made of nylon and polyester.

With the tips given, I will start searching tomorrow.

Thanks

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
You do not want 4" thick memory foam.

What you want is two inch layer of memory foam laminated to two inches of REGULAR FOAM.

You will also need to determine the "density" of the regular foam, higher density means firmer feel, lower density is softer. Keep in mind too soft and the foam deteriorates much faster.

Also, consider getting "GEL" TYPE memory foam, regular memory foam tends to make you sweat like you won't believe, bad especially in your situation/climate in Mexico.

Gel type of memory foam tends to pull your body heat away from you and will generally feel cool to touch instead of holding/trapping your body heat like regular memory foam does(we have used both types and hands down the cool gel type is far more comfortable temperature wise).

A place in Michigan called Foam By Mail is where we had a custom foam bed made,they can make any configuration and size of foam blocks/beds/pillows you want. However the last time I looked, they are not offering the cool gel memory foam as of yet in their products..

You can also buy two inch cool gel memory foam for beds and two inch regular foam for beds then glue the two together to make your own 4 inch foam cushions. Foam glues are not hard to find and they do work..

You can find 2" cool gel memory foam on Amazon, eazy peazy..

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if you're near a large city or not but I'd try a search on Google Maps for "Custom Foam" and see what it finds. I'm thinking just about every city of any size probably has a shop that will renew the foam in you sofa cushions or whatever you bring them.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
https://philmoresupply.com/products/foam-custom-cut

Maybe these folks.
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843