cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gaming and working from RV

nickd024
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an internet provider that I will be able to work and Online Game from my RV. Is there a high end unlimited plan I can get?
15 REPLIES 15

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
D

As an aside 5 months and he still isnt working, because he is holding out for an IT job so he wont have to work long hours , nights, or weekends.

I don't care who you are, but THAT is the most funniest thing I have heard of..

I've been in IT for 30 years.
Just pulled an allnighter and a weekender when the "stuff" hit the fan.

That boy needs a reality check.

He has a three monitor setup and custom comp, and is dying because someone he knows supposedly is making several thousand a month by streaming his online play. And Jordan thinks he is better, so he can make more.
But when I started looking into editing software for video, he admitted he didn't know anything about them and had no interest in learning any.
Did finally get him to apply for a single job after 700+ movies he watched on his phone during the last 5 months, and he starts selling cars next week.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
pconroy328 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
D

As an aside 5 months and he still isnt working, because he is holding out for an IT job so he wont have to work long hours , nights, or weekends.

X3
Yep, updates were always the most fun, they all install the same except for that one.......!!!:S

I was in IT since 1983, back then remote support was talking someone at the location through key strokes!
Later I recall helping on an update night for European stores while on a 3 hour layover in Chicago O'Hare!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch.... What Verizon plan are you on? We want one...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
D

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
DD and SIL moved in last winter, he is a gamer (or thinks he is)
He bemoaned our lack of high speed internet (we had satellite) which after he burned through 16 Gigs updating his garbage, he found out it still wouldn't work. So he bought a new phone and plan from ATT.
Verizon here was only giving about 3 Mgbps, so a contract for an additional $100 or so a month netted him a contracted phone with 16-30 Mbps, which still doesn't work.

I've got an 8-5 it job, but in addition to the 8-5, I get to work other times, like last night after my 8-5, I got to go back from 11pm to 3am, and I get to do it again tonight, and I still get to do my 8-5 tomorrow. But I will say my boss is cool and is fine when I leave early. In this economy,

if you can't find a job in 5 months, you don't want to work.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:

As far as getting "gaming" speed and unlimited data/bandwidth from mobile providers, that is a pipe dream..

A "pipe dream"? Are you sure about that? ๐Ÿ˜‰

That ping is pretty poor for highly competitive gaming. Low latency is just as important as high throughput.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gdetrailer wrote:

As far as getting "gaming" speed and unlimited data/bandwidth from mobile providers, that is a pipe dream..

A "pipe dream"? Are you sure about that? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickd024 wrote:
I am looking for an internet provider that I will be able to work and Online Game from my RV. Is there a high end unlimited plan I can get?

Forget ANY satellite Internet option. Due to the high latency they are NOT a gaming option. That may change in the next 10 years or so with LEO satellites but even that is questionable.
That leaves you cellular. There certainly are options out there but much of this depends upon where you live and the availability of cellular signals. If you are able to buy an unlimited AT&T device/plan but there is no service where you plan to use it, it's pretty much useless. You need to find out what services are available in your area and which can provide a good signal to your location. T-Mobile has some good unlimited plans (truly unlimited) but service areas are limited. AT&T still has some Mobley plans available for cheap but there are hoops to jump through and, again, availability may be limited. Verizon has excellent coverage but for unlimited 4G you will be limited to 25G before "network optimization".
Finding out what services work well in your area must be determined before you try to jump into anything.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
nickd024 wrote:

Are you planning to be nomadic, or more of a seasonal location camper?

There's plenty of private parks you can lease the site, and have cable modem / dsl service installed to. but that's only effective if you're a seasonal camper.

If you're nomadic, pony up the cabbage!

Get a Sierra Wireless or Pepwave router with multiple SIM card slots. Put a blue or yellow sim card in slot 1 and a red or pink sim card in slot 2. Yellow and Pink claim to not throttle on unlimited plans, how much truth is in that statement is questionable. Yellow and Pink also have the smallest self-owned network and fewest customers.

Find out who your local Police/Fire/EMS radio company is, and hire them to install a mimo array on a collapsible mast, wired into the router. Use real antenna cable, not the thin as spaghetti stuff they sell on Amazon. Forget about using boosters unless you have some deep pockets. A good antenna array on a tall mast with real antenna cable will work just fine. Mimo is how you get the best speeds these days, it doesn't all come down on one channel/frequency anymore like the old days.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
He bemoaned our lack of high speed internet (we had satellite) which after he burned through 16 Gigs updating his garbage, he found out it still wouldn't work. So he bought a new phone and plan from ATT.
Verizon here was only giving about 3 Mgbps, so a contract for an additional $100 or so a month netted him a contracted phone with 16-30 Mbps, which still doesn't work.

Not a lot of IT jobs are only daylight "bankers hrs", many are 24/7/365 with lovely rotating shifts and the newest hires typically get the midnight to morning routine and full holiday working treatment and not to mention "on call" to boot..

I do essentially "desktop support" and is daylight only hrs, which in my area pays the same as IT helpdesk, many areas of the country, IT helpdesk pays at a higher rate so I am lucky to get the same pay as the poor saps that must deal with 24/7/365 and on call rotations..

Jobs like mine do not open often, I have been doing this for 30 yrs when combining my time between the two companies I have worked at in this type of position..

There are many different "types" of "IT jobs" now days, when I started you either fixed/setup computers (desktop support) or you were "helpdesk", now there is dozens of highly specialized IT positions which have very specific roles and education requirements.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have unlimited no throttling 4G/LTE hotspot data plans with AT&T and Verizon plus a Max Amp RV cell signal booster/repeater. So far, we haven't found anyplace where we haven't had a good usable signal from one or the other carrier and often both. We stream TV programming frequently, but our online gaming usage is minimal by choice.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
While back for amusement I chased down a commercial satellite service. Eighty thousand dollars which included a 4 meter dish setup and satellite access then six hundred a month for service. Wasn't done. Unknown amount of money to set up account with some sort of ISP interface. By that time I was well beyond caring.

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are so many variables for connectivity and speed. As you travel, things vary wildly. Near or in large cities, pretty good luck with speeds. The farther away from cities, the dicier it becomes. Verizon has several Unlimited plans but last I checked, they ALL throttled after a certain number of gigs. The plans keep changing. ATT may have a newer plan but not sure about data caps. Park Wifi is a joke most places even for simple surfing. Good luck finding a workable situation for you. Please post if you have success finding something!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer