cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator no start issue

OK2NV
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Fleetwood revolution with a onan diesel generator. Started dewinterizing it yesterday and have a problem when I go to start the generator.

It has the intellitec smart energy management system model 900. Every time I hit the button to start the generator it trips the relays and shuts all the 110 volt power to the appliances off. You can hear them click in the breaker box and it takes two minutes for each relay to reset. Everything else seems to be working perfect. Both air units work as well as the electric water heater. Any idea where to look for the issue? I did put 4 new house batteries on it today and still doing the same thing.
1 REPLY 1

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Most often the reason a breaker trips is because there is a huge overload in the circuit. A circuit consists of the power from the battery, through the switch, to the generator starter, through the starter, and back through the frame of the generator, through the frame of the motorhome, and back to the negative on the battery.

Somewhere along that path, there is likely a weak connection. It acts like a load to the circuit, and just causes a lot of heat to the connection, the wiring and the lugs that hold it all together.

Just find it, that's all that is most likely wrong.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel