cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator questions

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
We own a 2003 Trailmanor 2720 SL camping trailer. It has an RV Products 8000 model rooftop AC. I am assuming that is an 8000 btu AC unit but can't find anything on it. I have pulled the cover and read the owners manual and about the only thing I can find is the maximum amps on a tag on the AC unit says 20 amps.

I have a ton of Cabelas points and would like to use them on either the Champion 1600/2000 watt inverter or the Champion 2800/3100 watt inverter. I would really like to go with 1 of the 1600/2000 if possible because it's only 48 lbs dry weight and will be easy to get in and out of the truck. Will the 1600/2000 be enough to get the AC started and going?

If not would it be better to get 2 of the 1600/2000 and run them parallel or just get 1 of the 2800/3000 watt inverters? It will be more expensive to get 2 of the 1600/2000, but if we are camping where or when we don't need AC we could just take 1 with us.

My only concern with running 2 1600/2000's in parallel is that they actually have less surge power than 1 2800/3000. Please let me know and thanks for your time.

The other thing I noticed is the 1600/2000 watt doesn't have a 30 amp plug in but I am not sure that will or won't change things.
14 REPLIES 14

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Just after the first of the year I got a $75 off a $500 purchase at Cabela's. I also notice they had the Champion 2000 $200 off the regular price so I couldn't resist and bought one. I figured we would give it a try and since the majority of our dry camping we wouldn't need the a/c and if it wouldn't start the a/c we could catch another one on sale later and run in parallel.

Well today we got the camper out to get some cleaning etc down and thought we would try the Champion out. It started on the second pull and I was very pleased how quiet it was. I let it run for a few minutes before plugging the camper plug into it. Had the wife go inside and turn the fan to low, then high, and then to low cool.

Each time she bumped it up you could hear the generator kick in a little more but it never kicked the generator off. So she kicked the a/c up to high cool and it never missed a beat. After running for a minute or so I even switched the generator to the eco mode and it continued to run fine.

Next while the a/c was running we turned on the fridge and several lights and were pleasantly surprised the generator handled it very well.

While I realize it's not a 100 degree day outside I was pretty happy with the results so far. Especially how easy it started and how quiet it was.

Just wanted to update everyone on our choice. Will see how it does later this summer when it's really how outside or how it handles in high altitude in Colorado this summer.

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have two Honda 2000I's one is the companion model which has the 30 amp twist lock female receptacle and can run the ac with no problems when run together and we run one when just charging batteries. also the 2000I's are much lighter and easier to move and store than a 2800 watt or 3000watt generator.
Good luck in your search
safe travels
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Upgrade to a hybrid inverter with load support and the 2000 watt generator will start the air conditioner reliably. It does cost more to do this than to buy the 2800 VA generator.

It is expensive to run the air conditioner from a generator. I'd prefer to go to an inexpensive campground instead.

https://freecampsites.net/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The champion 2800/3100 should do OK. remember you will not be able to run much else on 120 volts. You would need to get the corresponding twist lock dogbone adapter to go from genset to the RV 30 amp cord body.
Champion 2800/3100

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
What Sound Guy said. "Coleman" is now a product brand name for part of RVP (RV Products). The picture he linked is from just aft of where the product label is. That label will have the Model Number which can be de-coded to its cooling capacity and other features. His pic is also relevant to your generator question because it's a "before" shot involving his installation of a start assist device. The Capacitor for the Compressor is on the Left in that pic. The one for the Fan is the smaller one on the right. The arrows next to that photo show what the start assist device looks like, and what it looks like installed.

Wiring one of those assists is easy. It has two wires which connect to the two wires of the Compressor Capacitor where you'll find spare terminal lugs. And there's no polarity issue. So you can easily install one, just be sure the POWER is OFF and THEN that you SHORT across the capacitor terminals before you handle them.

To your question, I believe our Coleman model is "eight-something" and it's a 15,000-BTU unit. We have a Class C with on-board ONAN 4KW which starts it effortlessly every time. The A/C also has a factory hard start kit.

When I first read your post, my mind jumped to the little Coleman "Polar Cub" A/C's that are 8,000 or 9,000-BTU. Size of the unit is probably have a 13,500 like Sound Guy suggests or a 15,000 unit. You'll need to find out which. We had a 13,500 and now a 15,000. The power demand of the bigger one is actually significantly higher.

I haven't worked with portable generators, so what I'm about to say is based on what I've read here about Portables, A/C's, and Hard Start Kits:

A 3KW or (paired 2KW) inverter generator should start either size A/C

A single 2KW inverter generator might start a 13,500

The "Champion" brand portables, IF equipped with a 30-amp RV receptacle, would likely work for you also.

Again, conjecture based on what others have said.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
If it's an 8000, what about something like a Honda 3000EUI? Fairly lightweight with about a 10 to 14 hour running time on a tank (depending on ecoboost, etc.). We have a 31'TT with a 13,500 - and it works just fine. On hot days we sometimes have to turn the AC off while using the Microwave, but that's about it.

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I can run my 13,500 AC unit off one 2000 watt Honda. I installed a hard start kit (caacitor) after I found out that can use the single Honda. It has no problem starting and running the AC. Not everyone has success with this. I do like the thought of two units. The small Honda is all I can lift by myself. I also agree that very few people here forget their meds occasionally. But it does happen.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bowfreak wrote:
We own a 2003 Trailmanor 2720 SL camping trailer. It has an RV Products 8000 model rooftop AC. I am assuming that is an 8000 btu AC unit but can't find anything on it. I have pulled the cover and read the owners manual and about the only thing I can find is the maximum amps on a tag on the AC unit says 20 amps.

In other words you have a Coleman A/C manufactured by RV Products which is a division of Airxcel. When you say you "pulled the cover" what does that mean? ... the shroud on the top unit or the ceiling unit? Removing the top unit shroud should reveal the information you need about this unit, as can be seen (on the right) in this pic of my own Coleman Mach 3+ A/C and as detailed here by RV Comfort. Once you have the model number you should be able to source details on your particular unit using the RV Comfort website under Technical Information ... if still in doubt contact the company with whatever information you do have to see if they can help. JMO but I think you'd be mistaken by assuming "8000" means it's an 8,000 BTU A/C ... it's much more likely to be a standard 13,500 BTU unit.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bowfreak wrote:
Sorry I offended you and wasted your time, but typing from a phone sometimes is a little more difficult.

Such warm and inviting comments to a new member like me makes me want to come on here and contribute more to this forum.

Bobbo wrote:
Could you insert paragraphs or breaks in this so we can read it? I will come back tomorrow to see if it is readable.

Thank you.

There are a few people on this forum that don't take their meds every now and then, best to just ignore them.

I have two Champ 2000 gennys. One alone will not run my 13.5 AC, but the two paralled together work like a charm.
I find two 2000's work out better for me. They are quite a bit lighter to move around and one will work just fine to run the microwave or charge the battery bank.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
2k probably won't start the ac. 2 in parallel will, easily. 30 amp plug is embedded in the parallel kit. I was able to read your first post just fine; welcome!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It's highly unlikely that the smaller gen. will start your AC unit. It may do it in cool weather if your at roughly sea level. As you gain elevation you will loose HP and thus starting ability with the gen. Every gen. should tell you how much to derate its output based on elevation.
To RELIABLY start your AC you'll need the larger unit.
I would go with one larger gen. instead of two small ones. It would be easier to handle in my opinion than two gas tanks, two things to lift, stow, etc., and the cables to hook them together.

Cdash
Explorer
Explorer
Can't help you directly much.

No 30 amp plug isn't a big deal. Get a thick/heavy gauge 15 amp extension cord, keep the make end, cut off the female end and put a plug on that matches your trailer inlet. Problem solved.

I have a Yamaha 2400 and run a 13.5k air with it without any issues. Couple things if you haven't found in searches yet: may be able to get a soft start kit to install in the ac to help. I have heard of people running 13.5k units on a Honda 2000 with a soft start, but most people will say it's not possible. Some people limp through by starting the fan first (low high switch) then moving the thermostat to start the cooling. Breaks up the surge a bit. I have even seen kids that will delay the compressor start for a number of seconds after a call for cooling.

In the end, buying an undersized generator can be a persistent pain in the arse. Best thing I could suggest would be to buy from a business with a liberal return policy and test the small one out.

Bowfreak
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I offended you and wasted your time, but typing from a phone sometimes is a little more difficult.

Such warm and inviting comments to a new member like me makes me want to come on here and contribute more to this forum.

Bobbo wrote:
Could you insert paragraphs or breaks in this so we can read it? I will come back tomorrow to see if it is readable.

Thank you.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II

Thank you.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB