cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator storage opinions

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
My TT has an outdoor kitchen towards the rear of it. It has a slide out induction burner and sink, and a mini fridge. I donโ€™t use the induction burner and barely use the sink. It doesnโ€™t have a drain so it must be manually dumped. I only use the water to rinse hands or tools when grilling. I am considering removing the slide out and just leaving the water line to use as a hose with a sprayer. I am also considering using the space to store one of those predator 3500 generators. Is the generator with gas in the tank and the mini dorm fridge a recipe for disaster? It isnโ€™t a propane fridge, just an electric only fridge which isnโ€™t on unless plugged in to shore power. Other option would be to get a truck tool box to store it but need to run electric cable from the back all the way to the truck bed when using it. Iโ€™m also not sure if the 3500 will fit into a standard sized tool box. Thoughts and opinions please....
2021 Ram 2500 Crew, 6.4, 4x4
2022 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 287BH
B and W patriot 18k slider.
11 REPLIES 11

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
I carry a Champion 3500 chained to this rack. It's mounted in the left rear corner so I can run the generator w/o moving it, I have a 25ft cord that will reach the outside connection. I carry a couple 25ft extension cords for running small stuff out side.

https://store.lci1.com/flip-down-storage-rack-tailgate-storage-system-flip-down-storg-rack-tlgt-strg...

Hope you don't mind, I sent a PM with some questions.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Bill 888 wrote:
โ€œI wanted to make sure any gas fumes from the tank wouldnโ€™t blow us up when next to the fridge.โ€

Most refer compressors have a relay that makes a spark each time it starts.

This is what I was looking for. I do like using the outdoor fridge so the generator storage idea may be out. I may try to find a tool box that it will fit into in the truck. Thanks for all the responses.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Only issue would be making sure to never power up the fridge before ventilating the space.

I'm not sure you gain a whole lot if you can't run it in the space (which is not likely set up for that). If you have to pick it up and walk it to an exterior location, doesn't matter much if it's in the truck or trailer.

We keep ours in the truck bed under a wood box and chained to the 5er hitch. Most would have no clue that it's even there and if they do, they have to be prepared to circumvent the lock...not impossible but a decent determent.

Keep in mind a trailer with no vehicle is easy pickings. Most storage space locks are identical and even if replaced, a small crowbar can open them in seconds.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Wild_Bill_888
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI wanted to make sure any gas fumes from the tank wouldnโ€™t blow us up when next to the fridge.โ€

Most refer compressors have a relay that makes a spark each time it starts.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a Champion 3500 chained to this rack. It's mounted in the left rear corner so I can run the generator w/o moving it, I have a 25ft cord that will reach the outside connection. I carry a couple 25ft extension cords for running small stuff out side.

https://store.lci1.com/flip-down-storage-rack-tailgate-storage-system-flip-down-storg-rack-tlgt-strg-sys.html
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
As long as fridge is not plugged in while genset is stored beside it. I think your OK. Be sure slide shelving, counter or whatever can support genset.
I assume you will have help lifting genset in and out.
I like the idea. I always felt outside kitchens could be put to better use if they were simply exterior storage areas.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:

No conflict with the gen and the fridge. The gen running makes fumes that need to be kept out of the RV. The place where it is needs to be sealed from inside the RV. Otherwise, you can carry it in there, but must take it out and set it down to use it, closing that compartment door.

The big portable gens are too heavy for that, so now look at two smaller gens in parallel if you need that much power.

Next is gasoline to carry for the gen. Where? I carried a Honda 3000 in the truck with the 5er we had. Gassed up the Honda whenever we gassed up the truck. Big gas tank in the Honda 3000 so no need to carry any gas for it. Not the same with smaller gens.

The shore power cord could reach the Honda in the truck if parked close enough. Also extension cords. Not an issue.

You have to compromise depending on the priorities.

All good points. Just to clarify, I donโ€™t intend to run the generator inside the compartment. I only intend to use it to run the AC when stopping at rest stop for a break. My main concern was having a place to put it when at the destination campground besides the bed of the truck. Donโ€™t want it to grow legs when sightseeing, shopping, etc. I wanted to make sure any gas fumes from the tank wouldnโ€™t blow us up when next to the fridge. Now that you mention it, I donโ€™t want gas fumes inside the trailer either, so I will still need to make sure it is sealed up good in the compartment.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlh wrote:
My TT has an outdoor kitchen towards the rear of it. It has a slide out induction burner and sink, and a mini fridge. I donโ€™t use the induction burner and barely use the sink. It doesnโ€™t have a drain so it must be manually dumped. I only use the water to rinse hands or tools when grilling. I am considering removing the slide out and just leaving the water line to use as a hose with a sprayer. I am also considering using the space to store one of those predator 3500 generators. Is the generator with gas in the tank and the mini dorm fridge a recipe for disaster? It isnโ€™t a propane fridge, just an electric only fridge which isnโ€™t on unless plugged in to shore power. Other option would be to get a truck tool box to store it but need to run electric cable from the back all the way to the truck bed when using it. Iโ€™m also not sure if the 3500 will fit into a standard sized tool box. Thoughts and opinions please....

No conflict with the gen and the fridge. The gen running makes fumes that need to be kept out of the RV. The place where it is needs to be sealed from inside the RV. Otherwise, you can carry it in there, but must take it out and set it down to use it, closing that compartment door.

The big portable gens are too heavy for that, so now look at two smaller gens in parallel if you need that much power.

Next is gasoline to carry for the gen. Where? I carried a Honda 3000 in the truck with the 5er we had. Gassed up the Honda whenever we gassed up the truck. Big gas tank in the Honda 3000 so no need to carry any gas for it. Not the same with smaller gens.

The shore power cord could reach the Honda in the truck if parked close enough. Also extension cords. Not an issue.

You have to compromise depending on the priorities.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

mlh
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Can that area support about 130 more pounds?

Havenโ€™t gone to look at the support underneath, but the giant metal slide out being removed probably weighs close to that.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatโ€™s your tongue weight? Will it be negatively affected?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Can that area support about 130 more pounds?