cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

gennie not providing power to coach

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
We checked into an RV park yesterday and discovered the power pedestal was inoperative. Electricians were called and have been working on it this afternoon. They thought they had it fixed and asked me to go inside and check it. I did, and our Energy Management System (EMS) was indicating 50 amp service available, but our AC voltmeter plugged into an outlet initially indicated 115-120 volts but immediately dropped to zero.

They gave up and called the local power company, but when I started the gennie to charge the batteries again I discovered the gennie was no longer providing power to the coach. Iโ€™ve reset its breakers and the main breakers but no joy. Iโ€™m afraid the electriciansโ€™ experiment with the low voltage might have fried the EMS or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD
24 REPLIES 24

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Confirm the inverter works off battery while checking to see what's wrong. Can you by-pass the EMS so the gen power can get through? apparently some EMS sets can be by-passed. (with the gen there would be little threat of a surge like with shore power)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Jim McGarvie wrote:
In addition to the other suggestions, if you are using a Progressive Industries EMS, you might have an unbonded neutral on your generator and the EMS will not allow power into the coach in that situation.

Thanks for the reply. No, it is an Intellitec EMS. Interestingly, turns out the original problem with the pedestal (and two others) was an unbounded neutral. That has been fixed but we can't use the pedestal or the generator due to the damage incurred, probably to the EMS.

Jim

Replace your EMS with one that protects against open neutral, for example the Progressive EMS-HW50C

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
File a claim through the park against the utility for damages!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the other suggestions, if you are using a Progressive Industries EMS, you might have an unbonded neutral on your generator and the EMS will not allow power into the coach in that situation.

Thanks for the reply. No, it is an Intellitec EMS. Interestingly, turns out the original problem with the pedestal (and two others) was an unbounded neutral. That has been fixed but we can't use the pedestal or the generator due to the damage incurred, probably to the EMS.

Jim
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Are you disconnected from the shore power?
Remove shore power from pedestal. The transfer switch could be seeing power to hold it in shore powr and not allowing to go to genset.
Pedestal back to the sservice point is responsibility of the park. If it was the power utility problem, you would not be the only one effected.
Sounds like an open neutral in park system.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I disconnected from shore power.

In this case, three sites were affected, and it turned out to be the responsibility of the power company. They fixed it, but too late to prevent the damage to the coach electrical system.

Jim
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

Jim_McGarvie
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
Are you using an inverter/charger and if so what model? The 120v pass-through of the inverter part might need some sort of reset.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a Heart Freedom 458 series, 1500 watt. I know it has an AC pass-through (transfer switch), but see nothing on the panel or in the manual about resetting it.

Jim
Best,

Jim
2002 Monaco Knight 30PBD

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
The transfer switch could be seeing power to hold it in shore powr and not allowing to go to genset.

AND....if you don't have a "transfer switch", did you remember to move the power cord FROM the pedestal TO the outlet for the generator ?? Yes, I've done that before. :R
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Planning
Explorer
Explorer
Jim McGarvie wrote:

Any ideas?

Read here for more information
2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Are you disconnected from the shore power?
Remove shore power from pedestal. The transfer switch could be seeing power to hold it in shore powr and not allowing to go to genset.
Pedestal back to the sservice point is responsibility of the park. If it was the power utility problem, you would not be the only one effected.
Sounds like an open neutral in park system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you using an inverter/charger and if so what model? The 120v pass-through of the inverter part might need some sort of reset.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.