Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Old Mold!

Leaks
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again.

In the process of sealing up the factory made holes (that were never sealed/foamed), I've discovered some powdery green mold. The mold is specifically behind the shower stall and up one wall that also happens to have a GAPING hole to the outside.

The finishing work on Gateway Campers is absolute trash.

Ok, so I sprayed bleach water behind the shower and into the open spaces of the wall i opened up after wiping away the majority of the mold (I use a mixture of rubbing alcohol and vinegar). The mold is mostly gone from what I can tell. I will seal up the holes to the outside and install a micro-fan to force air through the bottom/back of shower stall and that wall just to make sure there no future issues.

Heres my questions. Am I just getting a string of bad luck because I keep it cold inside and we're in S. FL? Or, is this typical of campers, but it goes unnoticed because most aren't willing to remove walls of their $70,000+ campers? Are there other places I should look specifically that you've seen or heard of before?
11 REPLIES 11

Leaks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! Theres not too many places left to work on in this camper. Im constantly surprised when I see the poor or absent finishing work in THIS Gateway 5th wheel.

The one last area I think I'll need do something with for humidity issues is the crawl spaces. I'll post on that when I do.

Good job - nice work!!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

Leaks
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, heres the resolution. Again the factory didn't seal the inside from the outside. Where the PEX entered between the shower stall and the wall from the outside wasn't foamed. Humid air came in. was fully trapped in the wall and behind/under/next to the shower stall and condensed on the surfaces, plus kept is super FL humid. There was actual standing water in the spaces from where water dripped from condensation (no water leaks).

I opened the wall, removed all the wood cuttings they left when they made the cutouts for the faucets/floor/etc. Soaked all the water up and put the blower there with the wall panel bent out. Dried all the wood and floor etc. Once that was dried well, I cut the interior side of the wall (behind the shower walls but not visible from the bathroom) to make air channels to fully ventilate both around the shower and in the wall. I also foamed the opening to outside.

I ordered a high pressure micro fan (counter rotating type) that I will install under the sink - which is adjacent to the shower pan - blowing into the enclosed space behind the shower. The air will then travel up and out of a vet at the top of the wall at the furthest point in the circuit. The slow, but constantly moving air will keep the humidity from building up from any remaining condensation.

I think this will fix this issue permanently. There is no more stagnant air to cause an issue.

Leaks wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Are you sure it is mold?

A copper pipe in the area will get some normal discoloration and even some green powdery looking stuff as a by product of copper oxidation.

I haven't seen copper piping in a camper. Even my dads $400,000 bus doesn't.

It is all PEX.

True that it is all pex.
The compression rings could be copper.
I'm only suggesting a possibility here. Anything copper can shed a green powder like substance.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

Leaks
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
Dont use bleach and vinegar together, ever, even if just wiping one and spraying the other. Dont want you to die yet.

Thank you for the warning.

Leaks
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Are you sure it is mold?

A copper pipe in the area will get some normal discoloration and even some green powdery looking stuff as a by product of copper oxidation.

I haven't seen copper piping in a camper. Even my dads $400,000 bus doesn't.

It is all PEX.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Despite popular belief, spraying bleach doesn't kill mold and can actually make it worse. While bleach kills the surface mold, the water in it will feed the roots and guarantee it comes back. All you've really done is disturb the surface. Once mold is in/on a porous surface like wood, it usually needs encapsulated or replaced. You could try an ozone generator but it's no guarantee and they have their risks as well. Mold remediation is an expensive affair requiring HEPA scrubbers and usually replacing the affected materials.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Are you sure it is mold?

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Dont use bleach and vinegar together, ever, even if just wiping one and spraying the other. Dont want you to die yet.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most donโ€™t look for mold. Once it is pronounced they react.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
O3 Works wonders. Nothing lives after a good dose of Ozone. Run your A/C to thwart Legionaires like pathogens.