cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GPS suction cup adherence to windshield

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Has anyone found a way to attach the suction cup holder to their windshield?

Normal suction attachment fails with temperature change. I have tried taping the suction cup to the windshield with plastic tape, or Gorilla tape with tape eventually loosing adhesion due to weight of unit, vibration, or temperature changes.

I am thinking of super-gluing the cup to the windshield as a last resort.
:M
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29
25 REPLIES 25

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
joshuajim wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
subcamper wrote:
Putting a little (very little) vegetable oil on the cup will last a long time without drying out.

Steve

Just make sure it's extra virgin olive oil...much better, healthier, and legal for use on suction cups in California.

It's illegal to attach anything with a suction cup to the windshield in California, even with olive oil! :R

So you're the one to not get it. lol

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
subcamper wrote:
Putting a little (very little) vegetable oil on the cup will last a long time without drying out.

Steve

Just make sure it's extra virgin olive oil...much better, healthier, and legal for use on suction cups in California.

It's illegal to attach anything with a suction cup to the windshield in California, even with olive oil! :R
RVing since 1995.

pdogg
Explorer
Explorer
Buy a better suction cup mount, from a company like Arkon

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever I find myself in a "Mr Rogers" project like this, I cheat and do it outside the car i.e. on a vertical pane of glass. Or is that: Pain in The ***?

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
The suction cup holder ended up fitting into cup holder on console.

Works fine in that location.

RamCougar
Explorer
Explorer
A dab of clear Silicone sealer in the middle of the suction cup worked for me.
2003 Ram CTD QC LB 4x2 MT, LuK 13", 4:10LS, GDP Fuel Boss, SmartyJr#2, Bilsteins, Lil'Rocker, Prodigy, Tireminder, Garmin, SoundflySD.
2012 COUGAR 280BHSWE, GY Endurance, PI EMS, Wave3, Glow Steps, EU2000i on propane, EasyStart 364, Wally-Playmaker

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
subcamper wrote:

Steve

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

subcamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
Putting a little water on or licking the cup does make it seal (therefore hold) better. The problem is that the water eventually evaporates, especially in hot weather. Putting a little (very little) vegetable oil on the cup will last a long time without drying out.

Steve

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have NEVER found a suction cup that stays on a windshield or the dash.

I use the donut holder on the dash. It stays where ever I put it.

I can also move it around depending on how the sunlight hits it or where it's easier for me to see day or night AND I can just grab the whole thing when I want to move it my toad or someones else's car. And when parked I just grab it and put it on the floor so it's not an invitation to thieves.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
My gps has a mount with a suction cup base that "sticks" to a suction cup disk mounted on my horizontal dash. Periodically it lets go. I simply clean the disk and the cup with eye glass cleaner. I then spray a little of the cleaner on the disk, put the cup on the disk, give at good swish around the disk and then engage the suction via the lever. Sticks great for quite a while. The key IMO is clean on both surfaces.

The dash mount, as opposed to the windscreen mount, puts far less torque stress on the mount bond. A permanent mount to the windscreen may be a problem in some jurisdictions that ban mounting anything to the windscreen. I understand that this ban exists in CA.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
I lick the cup then put it on the windshield. Gross but it works.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Thank you guys:

In my Class C, the upper left corner of the windshield is by far the best location for a Garmin Nuvi 2589LMT. The unit is out of the way for vision but very reachable for use. I have always used the method of cleaning window and suction cup before each use.

Believe me; there is nothing worse than having the unit come loose and be hanging in front of your vision since the cords feed over the visor and rear view mirror to drop down to the 12v power outlet.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
A LITTLE Vaseline and I mean minuscule on the cup
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Easiest and cheapest solution that works VERY WELLVent clip from Office Max
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population