cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Headboard fell off. Suggestions on how to re-attach?

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was making the bed on Thursday before going camping for a couple of nights. I barely touched the headboard thing and it fell clear off. It was only held on by 16 little light gauge staples. Since the forward is sloped, gravity is working to pull it off too.

Looking for suggestions on how to re-attach it. I could maybe glue it with contruction adhesive, but it'd never come off if ever needed to replace or repair the fabric. Don't want to staple it back like it was. I could maybe use some screws with finishing washers which would work in the two vertical "joints" but would end up being exposed on the very left and right hand sides.

Was thinking of some kind of brackets but don't know what's available for something like this.

Sure not taking it back to the dealer to fix. 'nuf said...

16 REPLIES 16

RayJayco
Explorer
Explorer
The hangers would be a secure method, however they can be a pain to line up and depending the thickness of the fabric wrapped over the edges...

Buy a 1x4 (actual size is 3/4" thick x 3 1/2" wide) and split it...except instead of a straight 90 degree cut, cut it on a 45. Any circular saw or table saw can do that. Mount 1 side to wall and other to headboard, secure with construction adhesive and screws.

It will be secure, easy to remove by simply lifting headboard about an inch and projection from wall will only be 3/4", minus the fabric that wraps around, so probably about 1/2" when all is said and done...
Inquiring minds want to know...

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Velcro is a great option.

There are various surface-mount connector hardware thingies that would be reasonable if for some reason you didn't like Velcro. These or these or these look promising to me.

Got some velcro yesterday. Dang that stuff is expensive for the little you get. Not sure I'm 100% sold on it yet and can always return it. Camping season is almost done so no real need to get it done asap.

I forgot all about those taper type of brackets. They would add 1/4" thickness, but probably wouldn't be noticable. My parents had an antique bedroom dresser that used them for attaching the mirror.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Velcro is a great option.

There are various surface-mount connector hardware thingies that would be reasonable if for some reason you didn't like Velcro. These or these or these look promising to me.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
DW didn't like the upholstered headboard so I did my magic and copied one we saw that she liked in oak. Two strips of velcro hold it on it does rest on the mattress platform. Its been on for the last 2 years without problems 20,000+ miles including a round trip on the Alaskan Highway.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I'd definitely try a hanger set up. I think you might have attachment issues with the mirror clips because they need to be joined accurately. If it was me, I'd visit a big box store and buy the Command hanger kits that come all in one blister package. The Command hangers stick very well to finished Luan, can't say how they do with wallpaper, maybe the package has information.

If not Command strips, it would be two picture hangers and two screws, job done.

All Command branded products state "do not use on wallpapered surfaces".
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd definitely try a hanger set up. I think you might have attachment issues with the mirror clips because they need to be joined accurately. If it was me, I'd visit a big box store and buy the Command hanger kits that come all in one blister package. The Command hangers stick very well to finished Luan, can't say how they do with wallpaper, maybe the package has information.

If not Command strips, it would be two picture hangers and two screws, job done.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

partsman01
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy the wife a bump cap, like we use at work, then you don't have to worry about padding the headboard area.:o:B

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Screws with decorative buttons in complementary color to interior to conceal the screw head.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
Lowes has the better (bigger) HD Velcro.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to the self adhesive Velcro strips, you could add staples to the Velcro, especially at the ends. This would help the strips from detaching.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Johno02 wrote:
Test a piece of velcro on the wall finish first. Might need to sand surface lightly to get a good bond.

Sanding lightly should work. Not ever going to see what's behind the headboard.

My assistant is just heading out to find some HD velcro while shopping. I think Walmart has it IIRC. On the bright side of this, she wanted the headboard raised a few inches anyway because of the thicker mattress we put in.

I wonder if hidden slide-on mirror brackets would work like in the photo. The headboard backing is only 1/8" thick though and I'd have to glue on some pieces for more meat for screws so they don't poke into the fabric.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
How about using velcro strips?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Test a piece of velcro on the wall finish first. Might need to sand surface lightly to get a good bond.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Heavy duty Velcro strips. Use several. Top, Bottom, both sides. Don't worry about middle. Get a roll of the wide stuff, 2" or so, and clean surfaces well. Press in place FIRMLY!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.