cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, Fleetwood w/ 460 won’t start

JeremyR
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some help getting my 1990 Fleetwood to run again..

Symptoms: last trip pulling into the fuel island, it started to die. I fueled up and barely got it starting (had to keep throttling it). Made it no problems another 100 miles on the freeway but was dying at the stop lights. Just got it parked and finally died. Now will not start.

-will run on starting fluid
-changed both pumps and filter 6months before
-changed fuel filter again, fuel regulator, had injectors test & cleaned(they were fine)
-still have 44psi at the fuel rail, lots of flow coming out the return
-put a noid light on an injector, really dim when trying to start then gets brighter when trying to run on ether.
-replaced distributor, ECU

If it’s running on ether then I must have spark, if I have fuel pressure at the rail then my pump is working, if the noid light is lighting up, injectors should be firing

Help
5 REPLIES 5

MrWizard
Did you replace the ignition module CDI unit , on my 97 Fleetwood Bounder it is on the front firewall opposite the driver, but some earlier 460s had it mounted on the distributor, it was moved because engine heat was a problem
Even though mine is on the forward bulkhead/firewall the OEM part died and had to be replaced
Symptoms very much like yours, ether will fire with a weaker spark, has a lower flash point than gasoline
There are 4 different versions of this CDI unit, and your engine will only run with the one your ECU is programmed for, it took me three tries to get the correct one,
I suggest you insist on buying the Ford OEM part, ,Not aftermarket , NAPA sold me the wrong $80 part and refused to
Refund my money saying they had to special order it,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JeremyR
Explorer
Explorer
madjack60 wrote:
Sounds like the computer is having problems, did you check the gas cap?

Tried another computer and also gas cap.

JeremyR
Explorer
Explorer
sparkydave wrote:
Just spitballing, but if the noid light got brighter when it started running on ether, I wonder if there could be something wrong with the crank pickup sensor. That should be triggering the ECU to fire the ignition and/or fuel injectors, but it seems odd that once the engine spins faster the injectors apparently are getting driven harder. Your battery voltage is still staying at a healthy voltage while cranking, yes?

Noid light gets brighter as engine RPM goes up from my understanding

madjack60
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the computer is having problems, did you check the gas cap?

sparkydave
Explorer
Explorer
Just spitballing, but if the noid light got brighter when it started running on ether, I wonder if there could be something wrong with the crank pickup sensor. That should be triggering the ECU to fire the ignition and/or fuel injectors, but it seems odd that once the engine spins faster the injectors apparently are getting driven harder. Your battery voltage is still staying at a healthy voltage while cranking, yes?