cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet

Govcat
Explorer
Explorer
Probably been asked before but How do you set up to get internet access on the road/ or campground? I have a Verizon account with 4G and use my phone as a modem for my laptop but most areas don't get 4G and doesn't work very well even when its on 4G . Is there a satellite provider that gives both TV and internet?
Govcat:h
12 REPLIES 12

Govcat
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB You say your using a Wilson Cradle sleek- Can you expand on that what it is and how it works? Is that a signal booster? Yagi Antenna? Something designed for RV? Permanently Mounted? IF so Do you know what the gain is? I've been looking at some of the Reviews and looks like Verizon's 4620LE Jet Pack is currently the best performer. I'm wondering if a booster and antenna would be worth the money. With a 2yr contract the Jet pack is $49 for the unit from Verizon. They don't have a booster or an antenna. But I do see some that claim to work. My past experience with boosters has not been great but that was with equipment years ago.
Govcat:h

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sigh. I wish CARLOS SLIM would die. You folks have got it knocked. Down here the owner of TelMex loses business because he is too cheap to invest 50,000 dollars in improvements to the microwave network to gain 75,000 dollars in business. We feel blessed to have 1G part of the time.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
same as what RoyB said. Jetpack from Verizon. Used it all over the US with no problems. 4G reverts to 3G where available.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 choices,

1:Cellular (Your verizon) Verizon is suppposed to have the best coverage but .. I use T-Mobile myself

2: Park Wi-Fi.. Where offered, where I am parked it's so-so (Good when the park is not full) the other park I summer at it's so slow (But it's verizon 2-way Satellite)

3: Hinted at above, 2way satellite, IE: Hughesnet. Coverage is near 100% of the country, cost is high, speed is low.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I've found Verizon service more reliable and widespread than any other particular company. Sure, there are some dead spots. And it seems the consensus here on RVnet is the same.

Perhaps a different device? Could be your phone isn't the best one. I like the MiFi like the prior guy posted. Others like the USB dongle with an attached external antenna.

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I've found Verizon service more reliable and widespread than any other particular company. Sure, there are some dead spots. And it seems the consensus here on RVnet is the same.

Perhaps a different device? Could be your phone isn't the best one. I like the MiFi. Others like the USB dongle with an attached external antenna.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We use the Verizon MIFI 2200 unit. This gives us a WIFI hotspot for up to five users. I have a 3GB dataplane for around $30 a month. I like using this method instead of tying up my cellphone.

We get excellent service just about everywhere we go here on the East side of the US.

I use the Wilson Cradle sleek as my MIFI unit docking station which gives me use of an outside antenna around my off-road popup. I get great coverage all around my camp site with my big M90 computer, wifes HP computer, and our tablets...

If I ever need to upgrade for a bigger dataplan I will most likely go with the Millenicom unit that uses the Verizon network.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
Millenicom likely wont be any better than Verizon as they use their towers. As enblethen indicates if not 4G then it should revert to 3G which you likely wont like if accustomed to 4G - but Millenicom would be 3G also. Millenicom might be a bit cheaper and you dont have to sign a contract - but must buy about $250.00 hardware and setup to get started. We had it but thought Verizon would be better - it hasnt proven itself yet but we are under contract.
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
I use AT&T on an HTC One as a Hotspot for 2 laptops, and a kindle. My DW has an HTC Inspire 4g, which is our backup if needed for another hotspot. I used the HTC Inspire until a couple of months ago when I went to the HTC One.

For 3 months I used an ATT partner when volunteering at Big Bend. I talked with ATT, they covered my service with the partner site for the 3 months. I was only suppose to use 25% of my plan on the partner site. ATT never cut me off. I never went over my 5g plan.

I have not yet been at a location East, Southwest where I have not had ATT access.

Works for me. Volconus outlines the locations we have been for extended periods using ATT.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

gatorcq
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Millenicom, we have the Jetpack. It is on the Verizon network. Millenicom is on a month to month contract. And yes it is 4G.
Dale & Susan
DaGirls II Rv - Dakota & Tilly Traveling Companions.
2008 Alfa Gold, 2015 Ford F150 XLT
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
1600 Watts, Magnum Inv/Chg&Solar
800 Lithium Battery
DaGirslRV Blog

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
We have had very good service with Verizon using air cards. Make sure your settings are correct. Many locales have don't have 4G but it reverts back to 3G when set correctly.
Make sure you do updates on your unit. (*228 option 2)

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
It really is a matter of location and if your carrier owns the towers. I was with Verizon for years, but for six months I am in a area that Verizon does not have any towers. Internet was virtually non-usable.

Come to find out, after many, many calls, I was told that Verizon leased space on another companies towers and we were "secondary" on the towers. When the towers got busy with their customers, we, as secondaries, were kicked off.

Verizon was sorry, but also said that towers were expensive to build.

Do they think I really care about the cost of towers? They contracted to provide internet access and could not supply the same. Sorry Verizon, it is just business. I am not going to pay for something you cannot provide.

ATT owns their towers in this particular area and serves this area very well.

So it sometimes a matter of the carrier you use.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006