cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter - Charger - Leave well enough alone?

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Here, yet again, I have more questions... you all must be getting a little tired of me with these inquiries, and I very much appreciate the patience of those who've responded to my previous posts. My focus has been on the electrical side of things lately, and so, as I learn, I keep checking things off the list...

One that remains is whether or not I ought to consider changing out my Inverter to something more... capable.

First, the components:

I currently have flooded battery bank which I'm planning to change to Lithium - two @ 200Ah. These batteries are between 3-4 years old, and likely require replacement soon. Awaiting install of Victron 712 meter, and a Victron Smart Solar 100A MPPT Controller. Considering adding 340 W Solar to existing 480 W on roof, plus 120 W portable panel. Existing Inverter is 2000W Modified Sine. Current controller is PWM 30A.

Since my plans are to spend more time boondocking, I felt it worth the peace of mind to look at upgrading my system so that I might enjoy a longer stretch dry camping, when I choose to do so. Strictly a novice here, hard to wrap my head around electrical theory and practice, so, I've been on a mission to learn, and research, opportunities to upgrade my system where it makes good sense to do so. Question is, I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if it DOES make sense.

First, I'm considering adding another 170W panel to the roof, and adding another portable panel of up to 200W. My objective here is to be able to generate enough solar to avoid tapping into the battery bank. While it may come to pass that I would run the AC, I'm not convinced I need to add enough solar to do so. After all, I do have a generator.

I HAVE been wondering if it would be prudent to change my Inverter to a 3000 W or 5000 W Inverter to address the potential that I might want to run the AC off grid. Prices for this seem pretty reasonable - most between $280 - $500. As I'm of the opinion that it's better to have it and not need it than the other way around, I'm willing to absorb the cost if it will bring me closer to my goal.

At most, my wattage needs appear to pencil out to around 2000 W/day. That comes to about 166 amps. AC not factored into this.

Am I on the right path here? Am I understanding enough to have asked an informed question? What am I missing, or not considering?
15 REPLIES 15

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
“I felt it worth the peace of mind to look at upgrading my system so that I might enjoy a longer stretch dry camping,..”

If this comment is regarding electrical power, you are missing the point. An adequate solar system recharges your batteries fully every clear or mostly clear day. If it doesn’t the system is faulty.

Isn’t 2000 watts at 12 volts about 165 amp hours? Not 18.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad