cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter Generator Help Please

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I booked a 4 night stay at a State campground with no electric hookups for this upcoming camping season. It will be my first experience relying on just battery power. My Travel Trailer has the one Marine/Deep cycle battery and I have decided to get 4 Trojan 6V T-105's and wire them in Series and Parallel. I also plan on buying a portable Inverter Generator so I can re-charge the batteries during my stay. I will be conserving power of course and may not need to charge them up, but better safe than sorry. Anyway, there are a ton of them on the market now, each brand having slightly different features. Most of the ones with 3000w or more have an RV plug. Is buying a generator with that plug something I should consider? All of the videos I've seen reviewing them, are all about whether the generator will power the air conditioner. Since most campgrounds limit when and how long you can use a generator (Usually during daylight hours), I'm not understanding the appeal. Being able to run an air conditioner for a couple hours during the day wouldn't be of interest to me. We won't be in the camper then. Mainly, the generator will be used for topping off the batteries and charging cell phones. Is it better to charge batteries directly from the generator to the batteries using a battery charger or through the camper by using the RV plug? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
43 REPLIES 43

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
With no generator howinheck can I do that 50-90 and keep on camping for another two days?

What has your example got to do with the OP's? :h He's already purchased a 3100 watt Champ so battery reserve is a redundant issue now. Surely with a little conservation anyone can get through at least one 24 hr period with just a pair of GC-2s ... the OP also still has his original 12 volt jug as a spare PLUS his truck which in a pinch can serve as load support ... no reason in the world he needs any more than two GC-2s when he also has a genset. :R

Anyway, I wish the OP would hurry up and do his four day trip and see for himself what is needed.

You've got a l-o-n-g time to wait - the OP's "proof of performance" dry camping trip isn't until next fall! :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even in the tropical paradise if Vancouver Island compared with the frozen wastelands of Alberta, in January here, I can go through 100AH a day just for the furnace at 35F outside. Never mind a bunch more AH for the other stuff.

With six batteries I need a 50-90 recharge on the second day. (In the woods no solar, and besides even in the open it is dark and cloudy then.) With no generator howinheck can I do that 50-90 and keep on camping for another two days? I like to do four days to make the trip worthwhile.

Anyway, I wish the OP would hurry up and do his four day trip and see for himself what is needed.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:
Generators are necessary only for air conditioning.

You're way late to the party, the OP already bought a 3100 watt Champ. Why such a large genset is a mystery considering the OP said in his first post that started this discussion - "Being able to run an air conditioner for a couple hours during the day wouldn't be of interest to me. We won't be in the camper then. Mainly, the generator will be used for topping off the batteries and charging cell phones." :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I'm stretching my memory back to before we got a solar panel. We did boondock for four days in late Septembers here in northern Alberta and BC. Two batteries. They were not quite adequate. But they were certainly half adequate so your four should do for the needs you mentioned. We never run the furnace all night. But you are at least 1000 miles further south so your furnace needs should be modest.

Now that we have a single 100 watt solar panel the batteries are always above 80%. Never plug in, never use a generator, though we do have a 1000 watt one to run the home furnace in a winter power failure, we never take it camping. I think you could save money, noise and gasoline by getting a $200 solar panel kit instead of a generator. Generators are necessary only for air conditioning.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
samven1 wrote:
A couple things to think about. Those batteries are not cheap and they weight over 60 lbs each, the 2k generators weight in at 50 lbs or less, the 3k are over 100 lbs. I use to haul a 3k out of the pickup but not anymore. State and Federal campgrounds are getting really strict about the noise levels even during generator hours, I believe its 68 db now and they do have a meter. Usually only the expensive 3k can meet the noise levels or the built ins. Watch the db levels advertised, they give them a 1/4 and 1/2 power many times so look to see if they give max noise or reviews where someone has tested them. I get by with 2 gp 24 deep cycles even in cold weather because I only run the heat at night and keep it set at 62f. I get through 2 nights if I dont use the inverter for the TV before the generator is needed to recharge.

Note that the Honda EU2000i tops out at a noise level of only 59 dBA (click the "Specs" tab):

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i

and that the Honda EU3000iS tops out at a noise level of only 58 dBA. HOWEVER, perhaps more importantly note that at the world class portable idling noise level for the EU3000iS of only 49 dBA during 1/4 load ... most RV battery banks can be recharged good enough fairly fast with the right charger being fed from it (click the "Specs" tab):

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000is

FWIW from a noise viewpoint, years ago I was given a pristine Honda EX650 that runs all the time up to it's maximum power output at a noise level of only 54 dBA. I use this to charge our RV's 230 AH AGM battery bank good enough during generator hours:

http://www.tappedin.com/hop/html/litegen.htm
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
A couple things to think about. Those batteries are not cheap and they weight over 60 lbs each, the 2k generators weight in at 50 lbs or less, the 3k are over 100 lbs. I use to haul a 3k out of the pickup but not anymore. State and Federal campgrounds are getting really strict about the noise levels even during generator hours, I believe its 68 db now and they do have a meter. Usually only the expensive 3k can meet the noise levels or the built ins. Watch the db levels advertised, they give them a 1/4 and 1/2 power many times so look to see if they give max noise or reviews where someone has tested them. I get by with 2 gp 24 deep cycles even in cold weather because I only run the heat at night and keep it set at 62f. I get through 2 nights if I dont use the inverter for the TV before the generator is needed to recharge.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
RDMueller wrote:
I have the Champion 2000W inverter generator, it is the 73536i model and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure it's not quite as good as a Honda, but for half the price it sure does the job for me! It is very quiet and looks to me to be very well made. If your main purpose for the genny is to charge the batteries, you can't go wrong with one of the 2kw inverter models.

I have 2 Trojan T105s and I can get by for 3-4 days without any charging, but that's based on not much (or any) furnace use. When we stay longer (or use the furnace a bunch), then I use the Champion to recharge as necessary. I also bought a separate 60A charger that I connect directly to the batteries since my built in WFCO would take all day just to get back to 80%.

But just not any old 60 amper! ๐Ÿ™‚

https://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28640837/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1.cfm
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RDMueller
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Champion 2000W inverter generator, it is the 73536i model and I'm very happy with it. I'm sure it's not quite as good as a Honda, but for half the price it sure does the job for me! It is very quiet and looks to me to be very well made. If your main purpose for the genny is to charge the batteries, you can't go wrong with one of the 2kw inverter models.

I have 2 Trojan T105s and I can get by for 3-4 days without any charging, but that's based on not much (or any) furnace use. When we stay longer (or use the furnace a bunch), then I use the Champion to recharge as necessary. I also bought a separate 60A charger that I connect directly to the batteries since my built in WFCO would take all day just to get back to 80%.
Rob and Julie
2015 Forest River Wildwood 28DBUD
2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 24V Cummins 5.9

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
:R

Cute. Real cute. Did you think that up all by yourself?

How does that help the OP?

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
:R

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
I was curious about your assumption that a Champion 3500/4000 is not in the same category as a construction generator. But seeing as you can not back up that assumption, I guess there is no sense in continuing.

Do you actually have a point that is germane to this thread or just want to knock Champion Generators? The OP is looking for a strategy that will let him enjoy a few nights in a state park. Walk by the typical construction site if you want to compare generators? Not my job to educate.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was curious about your assumption that a Champion 3500/4000 is not in the same category as a construction generator. But seeing as you can not back up that assumption, I guess there is no sense in continuing.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Boon Docker wrote:
I would like to see an example of a construction generator, if the Champion 3500/4000 open frame is not a "construction generator".

Work in the construction industry like I did for forty years and you would understand the difference.

What has your doubt got to with what will work best for the OP?

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
^ You said, "Comparing the Champion 3500/4000 at 68db to a 80db construction generator is comparing apples to oranges."

I would like to see an example of a construction generator, if the Champion 3500/4000 open frame is not a "construction generator".