cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Koler Generator Problem

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I am helping a friend on his Koler generator 4000 watt that came with his camper and I can get the engine to turn over and start with the switch on the panel by the engine but when I release the switch the ignition cuts out. I tried the switch on the dash and that switch does not work all the time and I tested the switch and it is fine. Also the choke is not heating up. I would appreciate any help thanks. Tim
34 REPLIES 34

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the speed senser is working because when it runs with the button pressed it will level off the speed by the electronic governor.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
tvenetis wrote:
If I disconnect the senser should the engine run then?

I do not believe so- you need to replace it. With a bad speed sensor, it doesn't know haw fast it's running, so it shuts down for safety.
-- Chris Bryant

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
If I disconnect the senser should the engine run then?

Old_Rocker
Explorer
Explorer
Check the crankshaft position sensor, sorry I am a car guy and don't know what else to call it. Mine failed and the symptoms were exactly like yours. It counts the teeth on the flywheel and makes sure the engine is turning over. If it is bad, it doesn't see the flywheel and shuts down the fuel pump, carb and coil.

It is the small single wire that goes under the shroud to the flywheel end. You can measure the ohm reading with a voltmeter. If it is zero ohms it is bad.

If yours is bad, unfortunately the only way to get to it is pull all the shrouds off the engine and that meant mine had to come out of the coach.

Forgot to mention, the wire can be disconnected in the circuit board box, if I remember correctly.

I bought the sensor online for about 30 bucks, but most mower shops have them.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
They were known for the voltage regulator going bad. Plug in a 110V lamp and turn it on. Holding the start switch see how bright the bulb gets. If dim then more then likely the voltage regulator.

Good luck.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
lights 2 and 3 flash when I turn the engine over with the button and 1 comes on when the generator starts.

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned the comutator and made sure the brushes were working. When I try to start the generator lights 2 and flash on the circuit board and when it starts and I hold the button 1 flashes

MrWizard
right click and chose save to save PDF..then open on your PC
this link is down load to owners manual PDF file

google search for kohler 4ckm21

maybe these will help
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks I tried that same thing still won't run.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you disconnect the wires to the generator switch in the coach easily? Possibly there's a wiring problem there that's effectively keeping it on the "stop" settingโ€”a short to ground perhaps, depending on how the unit is built and controlled.

Mind you, this is just a stab in the dark.

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
The model number is 4ckm21

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
I will try to get pictures of it. I rather not keep it running by holding the button because it turns the starter motor on but will keep running if I hold the button

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5KW Kohler in the motorhome. A few years back I had a problem where there generator would turn over, sputter and then just stop. After much frustration I found a wire near the oil filter that had come off the spade clip. Connected and worked fine since. Sometimes the solution is simple.

If you keep pressing the switch on will the generator keep running? If so, can you keep the generator running while checking for 120v at a receptacle?

MrWizard
The only kohler generator I ever owned, was copper brown, with the model info plainly stenciled in white paint
Do you have a Kohler generator
Or
A off brand with a Koehler motor
Big difference
Can you post a picture of your generator ?
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tvenetis
Explorer
Explorer
The engine is a Koler 2 cylinder engine couldn't find model of it.