cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED Lighting Panel Module Insert Quandary...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've tried to follow all the discussions as best I can regarding substitute LED module models, price, performance, durability, etc.

But I got lost in the process. It seems new models constantly appear and buyers shout "THIS ONE IS IT!" Then someone else chimes in and ridicules it.

Here's the situation...

Solar voltaic power has come to some parts of Mexico but it is in its infancy. Totally off-grid operation at remote ranchos. Deep cycle batteries are becoming more available CICLO PROFUNDO. Basic PWM controllers, and voltage meters. One rancho has a pair of 120 watt panels and two 110 amp hour group 31 batteries. A Samlex MSW 1,000 watt inverter...

And the saddest lighting I have ever seen.

Single tube 15 watt 12 volt fluorescent lamps. The fixtures are NOT Thin Lite brand, so as poor of efficiency as the Thin Lights were, these are worse. Three months and a six-dollar fluorescent tube has black ends, half the light output, and twice the amperage draw. An entire family gathers for supper and a one-tube stupid fixture is supposed to light up a 12 foot by sixteen foot dining and living room area. The one ranchito I speak of has six fluorescent fixtures. One for each room. The outdoor kitchen has no light whatsoever.

Sure, lights light those from Command Electronics are available but this is not the USA. Someone has to purchase any LED inserts, have them shipped to a USA address then someone else has to embark on a multi-day multi-thousand mile trip to go get them. Wait! There's more. Upon re-entering Mexico, one has to pass the MEXICANS CUSTOMS DUTY OFFICE. Can you believe a FOUR HUNDRED PERCENT TARIFF ON ITEMS MADE IN THE ORIENT ?!?

The import tax thing can be "handled" OK. What is difficult is finding THE LIGHT. The INSERT MODULE that does not have a high rate of failures, suicide by smoke, or a price tag that would make even my knees wobble. The folks grown their own food, milk their cows and maybe earn twenty or so dollars a day. Campesinos like this are the HEART and SOUL of Mexico. They have zero interest in becoming "indocumentos" north of the border. Everyone is better off if they stay here.

But the days of candles and smoky fires in 40C heat hopefully are gone. Children need to do their homework and chores. They need to bathe. No TV, only radio. And there is no need to worry about radio frequency buzz because they will simply turn everything off and turn the radio on.

Mexicans are NOT enamored with WARM lighting in the 3,000Kelvin range. They've had their fill of "warm" lighting for the last 500 years. Candlelight and "lumbres" (fires) do that to a person.

They much prefer 5,000K "sunlight" grade lighting. Not blue, but white.

So what I'm asking is merely the impossible.

Do reliable INEXPENSIVE 12 volt modules exist that are "something special" in the value department? They would be hard wired to switches. If affordable enough they can add more and more, then a battery, then another panel. You know the story...

These folks DO HAVE volt meters and they understand to not over-discharge a battery. Those 31's cost a hundred seventy dollars a pop.

Eduardo would handle the modules here in the store. The standard 20% markup would apply. I gain zero financially (actually go backward) but payment would be rendered in smiles.

You folk have way and far gone more experience with LED lighting than I do. I'll channel my energy into finding the lamp modules, making arrangements with the seller and then working with the buyers to have the modules installed in their fixtures the right way.

Yeah, this is a pretty serious request. Put yourself in their shoes, their lifestyle, and believe me your opinions are vital. They will be appreciated. People down here will learn anonymous Americanos all pitched in to help their southern friends.

Thank you.
28 REPLIES 28

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked on ebay? I understand the 400% duty is a burden, but there are scads of LED 12v lights on there. I wonder what it would take to fab up something using a few of the 36 or 48 x 5050 panels.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent my own time in no light grass huts. Great folks inside.

tenbear,

You just may be one of the 'angles of light'

O$S

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
tenbear, that is EXACTLY the lamps, all thirty something in all the houses. I do not know if your strips are special-size for these fixtures. If they are, oh what the hell am I saying, I need sources where I can order these critters online or by telephone, have them shipped to the USA receiving address and then go pick them up. The BEAUTY of what you did is that SOME of the fixtures will do nicely with one panel while others can be loaded to the max. The images seem to suggest the lamp temperature is pure white. Dang this may be easier than I thought.

Sadly when the word LED is mentioned down here, truckers think tail lights and everyone else thinks pretty blue and green flashing lights on cars and bicycle valve stems. People are still weaning off of incandescent lights. These critters (maybe eighty to a hundred panels) are going to have to come from the states. I hope the price isn't cruel.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Local Wal-Mart, 2,000 mile round trip. NO DELIVERY SERVICE. Thanks for the suggestion. We are talking RURAL and we are talking ISOLATED.

??? maybe I am wrong but I see one 3hrs or 264 kM away in Uruapan.
(assuming your signature is correct)
Three WM in MICHOACAN

https://maps.google.com/maps

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&ie=UTF8&u=http://www.walmart.com.mx/

Nuts... neither the map or location link worked right ๐Ÿ˜ž

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, you mentioned single tube fluorescents. I posted an led conversion I did using led strips. I don't know if led strips are available there but the light is far brighter than the original 12v fluorescent.

Here is the clicky. Hope this helps.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I remember, but the rope lighting was a 30 watt affair to be used ONLY when there was a patient*. I had hoped as my query suggested that efficiency had improved but maybe not (?). The ranchos in question have lighting. Fixtures, wiring, switches in place. The fixtures just need to have their guts cut out and module inserts stuck inside. I was hoping to find 10-12 watt inserts with max lumens for the buck.

*rope lighting is fantastic for creating shadowless illumination.

PS. With concrete, almost latex paint, I had to drill and install "taquetes" plastic anchors every 12" for the rope, u-clamps and plastic zip ties.

I'll use a glop of GOOP on each insert to stick it to the almost Thin Lite fixture.

I guess inexpensive "T" rated switches went the way of Stegasauri, eh?

I'm also going to make some single LED .015ma white 12 volt night lights for the bathroom, and hallway from the kid's bedroom. Beats stepping on a really angry scorpion. Plastic duplex boxes and blanks should make this a snap. Telephone wire should be plenty big enough to handle the load.

Now if I can only find a source for inexpensive blinking green (green is a lot brighter than red) LED's I'll be a happier camper.

MrWizard
Mex
do you remember your thread about lighting the clinic
remember the suggestion about 12v led rope lighting
would that be a viable idea

it works directly from 12v or with a dc walwart
it can be cut and used in sections of different length for different amounts of light
it needs no fixtures
can be bought in rolls or by the ft

just stay away from the 'new' multicolored versions that come with a controller and are designed for patios and party environment
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Mex,

I've got dozens of LED bulbs with the T10/194 type wedge base as I was seeking white without blue, very bright light. I kind of got fed up with ordering 4 bulbs and they would all be slightly different shades, and not bright enough.

Then in a quest for brighter reverse lights I got some LED 1156 bulbs with CREE led's. Very white, very bright, but did not work very well in my reverse light housing.

Anyway I really liked the CREE light output being bright and very white. I ruined those 1156 Cree's and ordered some more for my regular fixtures. However I mistakenly ordered t-20 base instead of t-10.

When they arrived I found the light output was as expected. But I needed a way to house them.

I was in the 99 cent store and saw a little gooseneck LED light designed to run off of 3 AA batteries. 4.5 volts.

Anyway long story short, I modified both LED and gooseneck light, and have by far the best light compared to any others I've used/seen.

I'd estimate light output at close to 300 lumens. A bright, well defined cone of light projected at a ~50 degree angle. Pure white.

I made two of these lights and am extremely satisfied. with the amount of light, the color and where I can aim it, without the bulb itself visible to my eye.

These lights draw 0.12 amps each at 12.6v. 2 CREE t20 bulbs, 14$, two 99 cent store gooseneck lamps, 2$. I spent some time modifying, tinkering, and soldering and pulling thicker wire through the goosneck, but I like doing those things.

I know it is not a direct replacement for an existing fixture but when one can't find what they need, they make what they want/need and that's how Mexicans think, in my experience.

Here are the t20 base bulbs I bought.
RHX t20 CREE LED
They do not get extremely hot. The 1156 based bulbs I bought and ruined were 0.18 amps, with a heavier thicker heatsink. There is no getting at the internals on those 1156's I spent some time with a hammer and various implements to assuage my curiosity.

Here is the LED driver. I had to resolder on a tab:

An excellent task light, and when aimed at my white ceiling, an excellent ambient light.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
The only high quality, reliable LEDs are the 120V types from Philips and Cree. Yes, you can get great quality 12V LEDs (still not as good as Philips) but as you know already, they are expensive. Good stuff just costs money.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The usage points from all directions to LED lighting, it's cheap, durable, and is abundantly available. If an off-the-shelf fixture is what fits the situation, I would look towards landscape lighting. It operates on standard 12v and the market is flooded with different fixtures.
I was looking for an exterior fixture, recently, and came across these weatherproof LED Flood lights. There are other fixtures and diodes that are less power hungry and would illuminate a room. I made my own fixtures using a dollar store card frame, a small piece of aluminum sheet to replace the backer, and an Asian LED panel. Total cost was under $4. The 48-3528 LED panel I used draws less than 500 ma and is enough to illuminate my trailer.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Local Wal-Mart, 2,000 mile round trip. NO DELIVERY SERVICE. Thanks for the suggestion. We are talking RURAL and we are talking ISOLATED.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sea-Scape,

Message sent. Thank you. Every suggestion will be followed up on - to the hilt.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Have you considered 120v LED lamps shaped like a regular bulb?
Lots available at the big box stores in the US. Maybe your local walmart has something.

Sea_scape
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen the same problem in Africa. Contact the following organization;
http://ledafrica.org/

They have developed the equivalent of a solar powered lantern that uses rechargeable batteries to be used by children in Africa for studying and doing their homework. They are inexpensive, can be assembled locally and effective.

If you are looking for more, they may be able to steer you in the correct direction.

They are located in Canada, in British Columbia.