cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lippert Slide won't Extend

coastalbirds
Explorer
Explorer
I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem I'm having with my slide out on my 2010 Forest River Salem. I have a slide out for the couch and dinette that is a Lippert electrical system.

For the last several months, it has progressively been more difficult getting it to extend. When you push the button, the motor / gear box makes a fast clicking sound and the slide doesn't move. In the past, it has eventually gone out and once it starts, extends fine. It also comes in fine. Now it won't budge (stuck in).

I've tried extending it manually, but I don't have the hex head adapter to go on the round shaft. I put a small screwdriver through the hole in the shaft, and it didn't budge. I broke the screwdriver trying to turn it.

I've read that some people are having problems stripping the nylon gears within the box, but I haven't found a description of what happens when the gears strip.

Any help is appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

coastalbirds
Explorer
Explorer
And is this what you are referring to that needs to be replaced?

http://www.lippertrepairparts.com/lippert-venture-motor.aspx

coastalbirds
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the reply. My bell is silver, but I believe it's the same thing.

Last night I finally got the slide to extend by turning on the manual crank while my daughter hit the slide out button. It immediately "broke" free and extended with no problem. I slid the slide in and out several times with no problems, though I made sure to stop right before the room came to a stop by its self (when bringing it in).

The owners manual has instructions on "Adjusting the room so it seals in the IN position". Is it possible that the room is sliding too far in before it stops and that adjusting this out (with the stop can) a little would solve the problem.

I don't have an issue replacing the motor and gear box, but I don't understand why these are "out". It seems like there is something out of adjustment because once it moves any, it extends and retracts with no problem.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
On the side of the frame, do you have a gold colored "bell" looking part that stops against the Hole if the frame? If so, you have a screw drive system and when you hear that clicking, it means the Screw drive and clutch has failed. If you have this type, if you turn that hex head, it will release the tension and the system should operate. Another way to get it to free up is to constantly hit extend and retract and sometimes it will jar it enough to free it up, but you still need to replace the screwdrive/motor system as it is bad. Copy and paste this link to see what that "bell looks like and confirm this is what you have. Doug

http://store.lci1.com/stop-can-regular-p379.aspx