cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locked Out!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just put a brand new lock on the Lance, and went to get into it yesterday and couldn't. I only locked the handle, not the deadbolt, but when you turn the key the handle doesn't release. Also you can't remove the key in the unlocked position. Had this same lock on trailers for years and never had an issue. Anybody have any tricks before I drill the lock and replace it?

It's the standard paddle handle RV lock:

22 REPLIES 22

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bobbo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Call the Manufacturer.

Day late and a dollar short but ALWAYS confirm the locks function BEFORE closing the door. I installed Commercial Door Hardware for 35 years.

Just maybe you need to push hard on the door and give it another try?

OP found the problem. He was putting the key in the wrong lock. Daylight and sobriety helped. A lot.

HA, missed that. Still my advice is solid.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Call the Manufacturer.

Day late and a dollar short but ALWAYS confirm the locks function BEFORE closing the door. I installed Commercial Door Hardware for 35 years.

OP found the problem. He was putting the key in the wrong lock. Daylight and sobriety helped. A lot.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The reason Tri-Mark makes one key for the deadbolt and one for the striker bolt is security. 2 keys = 4x security. And yes it's a pain in the you know what.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Glad everything worked out for you.

On the comments about all locks keyed alike. Why have more than one lock if they are all going to be keyed alike? The purpose of the striker lock and the dead bolt keyed different is to add another layer of security. I suppose if one had nothing of value in their RV then leaving the doors unlocked would make no difference.

Locks are designed to help keep honest folks honest and to harden the entry therefore prolonging the thief's effort to gain entry.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Call the Manufacturer.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Glad you got it figured out! In the future, you may try getting on roof of camper, reaching down to lock/unlock, until you get used to the new keyhole location. :B

Jerry

There may have been martinis involved, and I try to stay on the ground in those conditions.... ๐Ÿ™‚

I think I'm just gonna leave it unlocked....

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
BurbMan wrote:
Well....problem fixed! For years, on every trailer we've ever had, the entry door had the hinges on the right and the lock on the left. In this config, the handle latch was the upper keyhole and the deadbolt was the lower keyhole. On this truck camper, the door is reversed, meaning that the hinges are on the left and the lock on the right. The means that the lock is installed with a reverse orientation, and you guessed it....the keyholes are reversed. I went out there in the dark and had the key in the wrong hole. Daylight fixed the issue!

Glad you got it figured out! In the future, you may try getting on roof of camper, reaching down to lock/unlock, until you get used to the new keyhole location. :B

Jerry

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bukhrn wrote:
I knew there was something stupid about mine, they are keyed differently, the original one & this replacement.

Not sure that is "normal", but like I mentioned, I specifically requested the vendor I bough mine from to have everything "keyed alike".

The reason?

Didn't want to deal with having two doors with different keys, messes with your head and is a plain pain in the rear..

I suppose if I didn't request that I would have ended up with FOUR different keys making it a majorly stupid thing..

You can also get that fixed, you can buy new lock cylinders keyed alike which fixes that bit of stupidity.

For the record, I LOCK both locks when traveling, don't want to ever see the doors flapping in the breeze while traveling 70 MPH..

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well....problem fixed! For years, on every trailer we've ever had, the entry door had the hinges on the right and the lock on the left. In this config, the handle latch was the upper keyhole and the deadbolt was the lower keyhole. On this truck camper, the door is reversed, meaning that the hinges are on the left and the lock on the right. The means that the lock is installed with a reverse orientation, and you guessed it....the keyholes are reversed. I went out there in the dark and had the key in the wrong hole. Daylight fixed the issue!

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gdetrailer wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
On my TT lock of the same design, the dead bolt and the latch are 2 diffrent keys. They look simmiler and turn if you mix them up. So if you had the wrong key in the door and turned it you could have jammed it up. I did this to mine when i bought the used TT because i didnt know they were diffrent. So try the other key also.

Well, that would be a totally stupid "feature" to have BOTH locks keyed with different keys..

Although, I believe the OP was able to insert the other key and now the KEY is stuck in the lock also which should not have happened either.

Guess I got lucky, when replacing the locks on our TT it has two doors so we REQUESTED to have both door locks keyed alike so same key opens both locks one both doors..

OP may have to break off the key, then drill out the lock and hope they can jimmy it into the unlocked position..

Not sure if it is a "Trimark" but there was a thread a long time ago which mentions those had a tendency to self destruct in the locked position..

Found a thread on it..

HERE

I suspect OP will have to resort to surgical removal of the entire latch/lock assembly which will destroy the entire assy in the process.
I knew there was something stupid about mine, they are keyed differently, the original one & this replacement.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
On my TT lock of the same design, the dead bolt and the latch are 2 diffrent keys. They look simmiler and turn if you mix them up. So if you had the wrong key in the door and turned it you could have jammed it up. I did this to mine when i bought the used TT because i didnt know they were diffrent. So try the other key also.

Well, that would be a totally stupid "feature" to have BOTH locks keyed with different keys..

Although, I believe the OP was able to insert the other key and now the KEY is stuck in the lock also which should not have happened either.

Guess I got lucky, when replacing the locks on our TT it has two doors so we REQUESTED to have both door locks keyed alike so same key opens both locks one both doors..

OP may have to break off the key, then drill out the lock and hope they can jimmy it into the unlocked position..

Not sure if it is a "Trimark" but there was a thread a long time ago which mentions those had a tendency to self destruct in the locked position..

Found a thread on it..

HERE

I suspect OP will have to resort to surgical removal of the entire latch/lock assembly which will destroy the entire assy in the process.

I will agree, its not something i would have done. Its also why I dont lock the door unless traveling.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sjm9911 wrote:

Found a thread on it..

HERE

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
VERY VERY VERY gently tap on the lock area with a rubber hammer while you apply some pressure to the key.

Is this another product made by the infamous Sum Ting Wong chinese factory???