cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP fuel Onan 5.5kw generator

markm
Explorer
Explorer
Considering an Onan 5.5kw generator on the next trailer. It will run off LP. Main use would be for power when stopping overnight at rest areas or parking lots. Also, charging batteries during generator hours when camped at national parks.

Relevant specs for the unit:
wt. - 288 lbs
LP usage:
.4 gals/hr at idle/ no load
.7 gals/hr at half load
1.1 gals/hr at full load

30 lb propane tank holds 7.5 gallons of propane.

At idle, one tank would last 18.75 hrs
Half load, one tank would last 10.7 hrs
Full load, one tank would last 6.8 hrs

For those who have this generator using LP as the fuel:
How do you manage your generator usage for the LP available on the trailer?
Do you carry extra 30 or 40 lb tanks in the truck?
Carry extra tanks or a larger tank on the trailer?
29 REPLIES 29

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
markm wrote:
With your RV service experience, what is your advice for keeping the LP genset in reliable running condition, besides just don't get one?

I plan on following Cummins/Onan service schedule as well as proper operation procedures for warm-up and placing load on the genset at recommended intervals.

Will these procedures help to alleviate the problems you have described with your customers' units?

NEVER LOOP the LP lines. That is how the gummy contaminant happens. Doug

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
As I asked earlier, is yours a LIQUID or VAPOR LP generator?

Big difference in contamination of the regulator.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

markm
Explorer
Explorer
With your RV service experience, what is your advice for keeping the LP genset in reliable running condition, besides just don't get one?

I plan on following Cummins/Onan service schedule as well as proper operation procedures for warm-up and placing load on the genset at recommended intervals.

Will these procedures help to alleviate the problems you have described with your customers' units?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
markm wrote:
dougrainer: How do you manage the fuel usage on the generator you have in your trailer?

I do not have an RV. I WORK on them and have for 38 years:B AND, I would NEVER have an LP Genset. Period. I have seen too many failures over the years with the LP regulators and gummed up LP lines which LP systems for Gensets seem to be prone too. I am giving you 38 years of real life experience. Doug

markm
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer: How do you manage the fuel usage on the generator you have in your trailer?

MrWizard
I too 'HAD' a Safari with LP Onan
those are 6.2KW liquid LP
the new one for the OP is 4kw and i believe those are 'vapor' fed
Liquid LP would require another tank
TT bottles don't have liquid outputs

when boondocking in Indiana for big trip in summer 2012
we burned a 100# tank every (3) days using the A/C

to the OP for intermediate stops, you can do as you say
for boon docking in hot weather
i suggest buying (2) spare 30#/7gal bottles
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I know you have researched this. But, HOW often do you think the Genset will run "just" overnight? As you know, it depends on how hot it is at night. So, in best case scenario, it will run at least 4 hours which will be over 50% of the LP tank. AND, you will need to spend money on a Auto genset system. Nothing worse than waking up at 3am with a extremely warm RV. And have you figured in the loss of quality sleep time when that Genset kicks in 3 or 4 times a night? I doubt you can be immune to that noise. I would think it would be better to have some type of extra Gasoline tank added to your tow truck if you use a truck and use gasoline as the fuel for the Onan. Doug

markm
Explorer
Explorer
Midnightsadie: appreciate your feedback. I would use the generator as you have.
Thanks

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
like I said we use ours about the same way your going to use one. we still like it. and I,ve never run out of fuel. frig is off the same tank.

markm
Explorer
Explorer
As stated in my original post:

"Main use would be for power when stopping overnight at rest areas or parking lots."

Intermittent use for one night.

Obviously, running it for an extended period of time would use a lot of fuel.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a friend with a smaller LP generator in his TC. When he goes to the desert towing his Jeep, he goes through a tank a day for the A/C so he usually takes eight extra tanks on the trailer in front of the Jeep in addition to the two in TC.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
ours is a older gen set ,runs great has never been a problem and does not eat fuel like some have said, bt we use it for overnight stops,, charge a battery,,, or AC at night ,have never ran it on a contious use, say four hours or more at a time ,I like ours.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have one in the Sahara but we also have a 100 lb propane tank. I filled the propane before a 3 day boondocking trip last month. Ran the genny once a day for 2 hours and used a quarter tank of propane charging the batteries. They run off the liquid propane.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We had one on our 5th wheel. We had two 40lb tanks. You will eat through a lot of LP real quick.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a 5.5k, only a 4k gas Onan. IMO, unless you are running 2-13.5k or 15k BTU rooftop AC units . . . . a lot, your generator will be way oversized and waste a lot of the fuel just spinning with little to no load, especially if you are using it to mainly charge batteries and/or run the fridge, or other nuisance loads.

If you do have need for that size genny, your best bet would be to have a larger tank (IMO 24 gallon or larger) installed in the bed of your truck because you will exhaust 30 lb tanks very quickly and change them out often. (about every day or two)

Chum lee