cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manual vs Electric slideout

outdoork9lady
Explorer
Explorer
Recently I bought my first RV for a steal, it has a manual bed in the back slide out. So far I haven't had too many issues, other than my strength is not what it's up to be to do this on my own. Last weekend, I think it wasn't on the level, the trailer appeared to be and I've parked here a few times before, this time, it took lots of strength to pull it out. It jumped one of the rails. I had to pop off the rail and get it popped back on under the wheel. When it was finally out, it appeared to be a bit tipped down at the end. I see that the turn buckles may have adjustments and will give it a try. Also, when pulling it out the rails can sway side to side, causing the bed to do so as well.

I'm learning a lot from this lil RV, and I'm creating a list of what to features to look for, when I upgrade. I know it will be a surround bed, not a pull out, and I like what I see for the living areas that pull out.

My current and learning model is a 2008 Keystone RV Outback lite travel trailer. I love it! It feels well built and my 2001 Chevy Suburban pulls it like it's not back there at all. I've borrowed my brothers and hands down I like mine more, except for the bed. His is a surround bed and no pull outs.

When looking at travel trailers that are fulling pulled out or no pull outs, I'm looking at sizes that any park will take, 21-25ft I think is the general rule.

Can people list good models in that size and what they like do/do not like about them. Also what they have found about various pull outs. I travel with big dogs to several types of trials (show, agility, hunting) so the living space pull out has merit.
4 REPLIES 4

outdoork9lady
Explorer
Explorer
Springs?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Isn't this considerably resolved with using adequate springs?

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a camper that has a slide on one side only, you level the camper and then put the slide out. The side with the slide out is now tilting down. To compensate, folks will figure out the difference with the slide out and slide in. Then, when parking, will put boards under the tires of the slide side so it raises. Then when the slide is extended, it becomes level.

If you get a camper with opposing side slides, you don't have the problem.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My incredibly limited experience with a slide out shouts that the vehicle has to be absolutely level before extending them.