Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mini trim pot to big potentiometer

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
I tried to wire in a big potentiometer in place of
the mini trim pot that came with my heater , the trim pot looked
to me like it only used 2 out of the three legs , so I wired in the big potentiometer using just the left and center pins , didn't work , heater is always on high.
Does the mini trim pot use all three legs or is one just to help mount it?
Which pins do I wire to what?
Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you sure you got the right value Pot to replace the mini? I mean if you use a 1K pot to replace a 10K odds are .. exactly what you expierence.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer

Connect all three pins. Circuit board is double sided so traces can be on both sides.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mobilesport wrote:
Yes , same value of 8kohm.
In one of the pictures shows the traces of the circuit board going to 2 pins , the third pin didn't look like it went to anything according to the circuit board traces .

I have the potentiometer wired up using the left and center pin , there wire to the trim pots 2 legs that looked like there used according to the circuit board traces , I checked resistance and I get 7.9kohm when fully counter clockwise, I get 6 millivolt when fully clock wise , maybe it does need all three pins but it sure doesn't look like it.
Thanks for posting

Ok, I wasnโ€™t seeing the circuit board for what it was but now I do. I agree that itโ€™s only using one end and the center tap.

Did you remove that pot or how did you connect the new one? 8k ohms should be 8k no matter the source but you canโ€™t leave the little one in place or youโ€™ll end up with them in parallel (4kOhm max).

Are there any traces on the top of the board?

MrWizard
The original had 3 pins
2 close together, the third pin is one on the opposite side
Of the two
Clearly shown in pictures 1 & 2

I'm betting that's the center pin, and is the adjustable slider of the the trim pot
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
Yes , same value of 8kohm.
In one of the pictures shows the traces of the circuit board going to 2 pins , the third pin didn't look like it went to anything according to the circuit board traces .

I have the potentiometer wired up using the left and center pin , there wire to the trim pots 2 legs that looked like there used according to the circuit board traces , I checked resistance and I get 7.9kohm when fully counter clockwise, I get 6 millivolt when fully clock wise , maybe it does need all three pins but it sure doesn't look like it.
Thanks for posting

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The outside 2 pins are just the ends of a resistor. The center pin selects a point along that resistor depending upon where the pot is turned. The โ€œendsโ€ on the trim pot are the 2 pins on the same edge and the 3rd pin is the center.

It doesnโ€™t matter which โ€œendโ€ you use along with the center other than the direction you twist to increase or decrease will be reversed in one case if all you need is a variable resistor. However often times one end is ground, the other is power and the center tap selects something in between so all 3 pins may be needed.

When you selected a large pot, did you get one of the same value as the small trim one? Did you de-solder and connect wires where the small one was? If so, just connect all 3 pins where the original was.