cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My Schwintec issue

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
An update on the problem we were having with our Schwintec slide. Finally found the culprit after half a day fiddling trying to find what had gone wrong. Our coach is a 2015 Winnebago Vista with 3 slides. They have all worked perfectly until our last trip. 4 days from home, there was a loud pop and one side of the dining slide stopped moving. I was able to push the non-working side back in by hand while my wife worked the switch and I fashioned a block to keep it from opening on it's own while driving. What I eventually determined was the motor retaining screw hole had been drilled too high and the motor was just barely engaging with the coupling underneath it. Also there are four 'studs' that stick below the motor that are suppose to drop into matching holes in the mounting block. They are supposed to prevent the motor itself from rotating when power is applied. In my case, that function was being performed by the motor retaining screw. Both it and the hole in the motor showed signs of being pretty beaten up from the 1/16 or so of rotation that would happen every time the motor reversed direction. In Winnebago's case, the screw cannot just be unscrewed from the outside as it goes through a hole and has a sleeve nut on the inside that helps increase the diameter where it goes into the brush inspection hole in the motor housing. Before I realized I was going to have to remove the entire retaining strip from the side of the RV, I spent some time fruitlessly trying to remove the screw unaware there was a sleeve nut freely rotating on the other side of the retaining strip. Lippert's instruction on removing the screw was completely wrong in my case. It is not possible to remove it without taking off the retaining strip. I'm still puzzled how the hole for the retaining screw ended up too high (about 3/4"). There are a LOT of screws in the retaining strip, half screw into the slide frame, the other half into the side of the coach. I would have expected they were all made with a template that should also have located the motor retaining screw. How one screw would have been misdrilled in that process escapes me. After I got the entire strip off the wall, the problem became clear. As I said, Lippert's instructions are not applicable to Winnebago's design. You cannot remove the motor retaining screw without removing the retaining strip. The screw itself never does need to be removed, it simply comes out of the hole in the motor as you remove the strip. Once I had done that, I was able to easily see all the parts. I was able to realize the motor belongs down flush against the mounting block with the 4 studs in their respective holes. The pop noise we had heard was the d-shaped motor shaft slipping in the coupling. Apparently it was just barely engaged and after 2 1/2 years finally slipped up enough to no longer drive the coupling. I got the motor seated properly and when I went to reinstall the retaining strip, I found the top end was standing off from the sidewall because now, with the motor properly seated and further down, the motor retaining screw was hitting the motor housing just above the brush inspection hole rather than going into it. That's when I realized where the problem had originally come from. Whoever installed the retaining strip must have lifted the motor up so the screw (and sleeve nut) would stop holding the strip off the sidewall. From then on, it was only a matter of time before the partially engaged motor shaft and coupling would slip. With the motor properly seated, I peered between the side wall and strip and determined how much I needed to lower the motor retaining screw then redrilled the hole and moved the screw and sleeve down.The strip then would screw flat against the coach wall and the retaining screw now does it's intended job of just preventing the motor from lifting up and no longer performs the incorrect task of also preventing rotation. Sorry for the long post but thought I should put it up as someone else will probably have this same problem in the future and the Lippert instruction are not really correct for Winnebago products.
0 REPLIES 0