cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help on winterizing RV with residential fridge

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our new to us 5th wheel has a residential fridge with an ice maker. The fridge does not have a water dispenser. What do I need to do to winterize the fridge/freezer or to drain the waterline that runs to the freezer?
10 REPLIES 10

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Okay solution except the ice maker on my boat had a sticker saying โ€œDo not use RV antifreeze in this ice makerโ€. Word from those who did is it eats the plastic.

I would do what wa8xym suggested. Turn off the water, open the low points, then run through an ice cycle so it back drains. Being the high spot , the ice maker will drain. Once the ice cycle completes turn off the fridge and winterize with pink stuff. With the fridge off it wonโ€™t flow to the ice maker.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
bedpan wrote:
I searched for "winterize lg fridge with ice maker"

found this:
Winterized my unit today couldn't find any info on line (web) on how to winterize an ice maker. Called my local dealer they stated to disconnect the infeed line and drain it. This would be fine for the water up to the valve located in the rear of the unit, after the valve and up to the ice maker would still be full of water which would result in freeze damage. So I called LG that was a joke, got 2 different techs not from the US they stated to do the same thing as my local dealer stated to do drain the line and if I wanted to go further to pull the refrigerator out drain the valve and the lines by disconnecting all lines from the valve unit. I figured this out before I talked with them, not so easy to do. To make a long story short I removed the ice tray and lower tray out of the freezer it's a French door with bottom freezer. I then took a mirror and found a test button near the front of the ice maker about 1/2" from the front on the underside, pushed it and out came the antifreeze, its a button that opens the valve for a cycle, only took 2 cycles and it was winterized. I'll do the same to dewinterized next spring a few cycles and the antifreeze will be gone.

Taken from here: link

Thanks, this is just what I am looking for.

bedpan
Explorer
Explorer
I searched for "winterize lg fridge with ice maker"

found this:
Winterized my unit today couldn't find any info on line (web) on how to winterize an ice maker. Called my local dealer they stated to disconnect the infeed line and drain it. This would be fine for the water up to the valve located in the rear of the unit, after the valve and up to the ice maker would still be full of water which would result in freeze damage. So I called LG that was a joke, got 2 different techs not from the US they stated to do the same thing as my local dealer stated to do drain the line and if I wanted to go further to pull the refrigerator out drain the valve and the lines by disconnecting all lines from the valve unit. I figured this out before I talked with them, not so easy to do. To make a long story short I removed the ice tray and lower tray out of the freezer it's a French door with bottom freezer. I then took a mirror and found a test button near the front of the ice maker about 1/2" from the front on the underside, pushed it and out came the antifreeze, its a button that opens the valve for a cycle, only took 2 cycles and it was winterized. I'll do the same to dewinterized next spring a few cycles and the antifreeze will be gone.

Taken from here: link

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
Two answers. First turn off water and drain the lines at the low point drains DO NOT blow the lines out at this time.. Force cycle the ice maker.. Now shut off water to the ice maker (there should be a valve) and blow out the rest of the lines several tinmes. Turn the fridge ON and let the ice maker cycle normally,. now empty the ice tray (that will empty the ice molds).

OPTIONAL is remove the solenoid valve to a warm spot.. Don't lose it like I did

Optional (And I did this too) Remove the ice maker and toss it (well it's in the basement) and get a counter top ice maker. More ice, faster, (Though only on 120 volts) and I just haul it inside when it's cold out.

Would the valve be behind the fridge requiring me to pull it out, or would it be outside the living space?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Two answers. First turn off water and drain the lines at the low point drains DO NOT blow the lines out at this time.. Force cycle the ice maker.. Now shut off water to the ice maker (there should be a valve) and blow out the rest of the lines several tinmes. Turn the fridge ON and let the ice maker cycle normally,. now empty the ice tray (that will empty the ice molds).

OPTIONAL is remove the solenoid valve to a warm spot.. Don't lose it like I did

Optional (And I did this too) Remove the ice maker and toss it (well it's in the basement) and get a counter top ice maker. More ice, faster, (Though only on 120 volts) and I just haul it inside when it's cold out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mrad wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
I would not install antifreeze in the icemaker mold. IF you winterize by blowing out the system. Connect air and manually cycle the Icemaker until you hear AIR blowing out inside the icemaker. If you use Antifreeze, then pump into the mold. The RV antifreeze leaves a small slime that takes numerous ice production to get rid of. Doug

I like the air idea. Where do I look for the switch to manually cycle the system? This is our first time using the 5th wheel. I noticed when we get home which is 250 miles north, we will have temps in the mid 20's this week.

Thanks

I am not familiar with the LG. Most Residentials have either a eject switch cycle or you remove the motor cover and jump the V and L holes with a 12 gauge copper wire and that opens the water valve for air blow out. Doug

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
I would not install antifreeze in the icemaker mold. IF you winterize by blowing out the system. Connect air and manually cycle the Icemaker until you hear AIR blowing out inside the icemaker. If you use Antifreeze, then pump into the mold. The RV antifreeze leaves a small slime that takes numerous ice production to get rid of. Doug

I like the air idea. Where do I look for the switch to manually cycle the system? This is our first time using the 5th wheel. I noticed when we get home which is 250 miles north, we will have temps in the mid 20's this week.

Thanks

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:
What make/model is your residential fridge? If it's the Samsung RF18xxx, the icemaker has a test cycle button. Activate that several times while the lines are pressurized with antifreeze. Other makes/models may have similar features.

Rob

Sorry,
It's an LG LFC22770ST

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
What make/model is your residential fridge? If it's the Samsung RF18xxx, the icemaker has a test cycle button. Activate that several times while the lines are pressurized with antifreeze. Other makes/models may have similar features.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015