cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No power

KcBorne
Explorer
Explorer
My converter recently went out, and I lost power to both my DC and AC appliances. I'm getting 125v in at all the breakers, and the lines that lead into the converter. My question is why have i lost power to my receptacles? I'm not apt in electrical in the least bit, but i don't understand how the converter that puts out 13.v DC would affect the power to my receptacles. Does the converter play a roll in the circuit of the AC power? The tech guy got my converter in the mail today, and he said it is blown, so I'm hoping that's my only problem. Is it common to loose all power to the trailer with the converter blowing? Sorry for my ignorance, and thank you to everyone who has had patience with my many questions on this forum.
6 REPLIES 6

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check for tripped GFCI outlet......if tripped any outlet on same circuit downstream will not have 110V AC power.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct in as much as the "converter" has nothing to do with 120 volt power HOWEVER your 120 volt power center is usually i the same box with the converter. I would suspect a tripped breaker in the electrical control center (some RVs have one breaker that turns off the entire system. As mentioned earlier though, without 12 volt power anything operating from a thermostat would likely not operate. What SHOULD still operate is the Microwave and the outlets even without 12 volt power. If it's a combination of different things causing your problem like tripped circuit breaker and also tripped GFCI outlets (there are probably several circuits and each one would have to blow to make them all stop working OR one breaker in the electrical panel could do it.
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
How are you checking for 120 volts? Do not use ground to breakers, you must remove cover from AC breakers and use the neutral(white) to verify 120 is present. I am thinking that you have lost the neutral in the shorepower connection maybe an adapter went bad when converter went out.
Turn off all breakers (Don't flip them) applying light pressure toward off. Turn the main breaker on, then each of the branch breakers one at a time.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
GFCI breakers may have tripped on some of the outlets. Flip all 120 breakers off and on and reset and outlets with GFCI buttons, then check.

Jim

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
KcBorne wrote:
i don't understand how the converter that puts out 13.v DC would affect the power to my receptacles
I don't either.

I could make a WAG that the converter breaker was thrown and the receptacles are on that same breaker.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi KcBorne,

The control boards on items such as the fridge and air conditioner work on 12 volt--so if there is not a reliable source of 12 volt power then they will not function.

Check your microwave and see if it works as they don't have any 12 volt "parts".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.