cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold 1210 doubledoor not cooling.

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
New RV. I've been using it for a couple of months and all has been well even when ambient temps were into the 100's. It is installed in a slide.

I woke up this AM and opened the fridge door to get something and noticed it wasn't as cold as it should be. I checked the freezer and things were thawing. I was running it on electric and it has been freezing outside at night and 50's F in the day. I put a digital temp gauge in the freezer and after an hour it read 38F. Ice cubes were mushy and there was 1/4 to 1/2" ice on the back wall.

I defrosted it and dried it out. I switched it to gas. In 8 hours it is only down to 37.3 and holding.

I read that absorption (sp) refers were less efficient at freezing ambient temperatures so I blocked off the lower vents and mounted a 60 watt bulb in the back compartment. After a couple of hours running this was it is still at 37.3 in the freezer.

I am running it on 9 which is the coldest setting. Any ideas?
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad
19 REPLIES 19

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fans are thermostatic controlled. Thermostat is on condenser --turns on fans when fin temp is 135*F and turns them back off when fin temp is 115*F fin.

NO fans should not be running in low ambient air temps (usually not needed below 85*F air temps)

The 2 heaters are 225W/EA (450W) so a bit low at 415W

Air flow is needed (Draft) to remove heat from cooling unit.
Blocking off a couple of vents and using a 60W bulb helps when temps are below freezing....but not completely blocked off.

A quick visual for gas pressure......turn on all stove top burners on high. Watch each as you turn on another one. Flames steady/remain at same height or do the diminish height?
Now with them all running turn on furnace or water heater.
Do they recover? If not........LP pressure needs adjusted.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
It is drawing 415 watts on electric. I am now tossing what was in the freezer, wasn't much and am going to get ice bags for the refer.

RV is always level. Has automatic 6 point leveling system. Ran fine for 2 weeks at current location.

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit,
Agreed, thermistor position is irrelevant on adjustable temperature model.
There is no blockage in top or bottom vents.
I could hear fans running in the summer when it was hot but no fans running now. I assumed this because the ambient temps are hovering around freezing. Running on propane flame looked and sounded normal. I will plug on the kill-a-watt and see what the heater is drawing.

As to air flow, I thought that was important only when ambient temps are warmer? Some here block off their lower vents in the winter.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moving thermistor location on a fridge that has adjustable temp setting will NOT correct a cooling issue. It can affect food section temps by 4-6*F on a fridge that has NO adjustable temp settings.

Insufficient cooling on AC & LP on your 1210 Norcold is typically due to improper/lack of air flow (Draft)
Also can be due to one of the electric heaters has failed on AC
And low propane pressure on LP
But common to both is air flow. Check via upper vent cover for any obstruction

Blocked cooling unit!!!
Been running fridge with rig off-level :S
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lower the thermistor down some or move over to the right one fin.

Good luck

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....