Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold works on AC not propane

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

I know this is a popular topic, but here it goes again... My 93 Winnie Norcold fridge works great on AC, but not propane. I can clearly see a nice shaped blue flame thru the inspection port, but it simply doesn't cool. The AC freezes ice! This is a simple system that requires heat to boil the ammonia nitrate solution so I am thinking it is simply not generating sufficient heat. Last time I used the propane back in January it worked great. What am I missing? Thanks in advance!
8 REPLIES 8

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
I took the fridge propane burner unit off, sanded any rust, cleaned and blew it out with compressed air. I knew the minute I fired it back up that that was the issue, now works great. Flame considerably larger, hotter, even louder. I should have done this before but thought blowing it out with a straw was enough. No. I am still kinda new to this but learning all the time. Did all those other maintenance things on the fridge cooling so I should be good. Thanks for all the feedback.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is your refer in a slide? If so, you need to pull the refer to get it out.
Were you able to rattle the baffle? You should be able to do this from the bottom.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
I did remove the upper access panel to try to remove the interior baffle in the propane flu but it wouldn't come up and out, would wiggle but could not lit it up. The fins looked fine, no real dirt or nests. Cleaned the flu best as I could from the top and from the bottom with a stiff wire to remove carbon, but not really much came out the bottom. Kept the burner covered doing this. Blew off the propane burner orifice with a straw. Did a fuse continuity check on both fuses, both OK. It's very puzzling. Works great on AC, propane burner fires right up. Looks to be a good steady blue flame with just the lightest trace of orange in the middle. It's either not a hot enough flame or the heat transfer is not taking place as it should. Just got back from an extended trip to Yellowstone, other than this issue all went great. I know high altitude can affect some propane systems but now back to near sea level and still no cooling on propane. ??

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If OP wants to remove baffle and fully clean stack, a shot gun 12 gas brush works good.
Rattling the baffle from below will tell whether there is build up of soot in the stack.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baffle needs to be removed via top vent access THEN brush/clean up stack and baffle.....rust/soot impede heat transfer
Cover burner so debris doesn't fall in slots and block burner

Spiral baffle absorbs heat from flame then transfers that heat to perk tube where the ammonia flows

After brushing/clean make sure baffle is reinserted and back in place
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
A clogged stack.
The stack is right above the flame. It is about 3/4 inch diameter pipe. There is a baffle about 4-5 inches up inside.
Use a stiff but slightly flexible peice of wire. Push it up into the stack to knock loose carbon build up.
Make sure unit is off!
Be prepared for carbon to fall down. Vacuum out debris.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow