Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NOW..........NO HOT WATER AT ALL!!!

Fosters
Explorer
Explorer
Re: Suburban WH type

2nd owner to my 5th that has dual HW heating and not a single piece of repair history before I bought it in June 2016. Anyhow, I got hot water both by LP and elect with no problem till now, Jan 2017.

I prefer to use Electric mostly, and suddenly no hot water. Switched to LP and firing hot water, no problem. But I had to of course, find out why the elect was not working any longer. I am a DIY'r as best as I can. So with Dr. Google and youtube I tried to self teach myself on the use of a multi meter. I found the resistance only @ .10 for the heating element, which online mechanics tell me "that it is good". Anything higher then like .20 they say is bad.

So next is the thermostats, and visually both look. Meaning no obvious burnt outs or disconnects in either of the 4 fasteners. And I am aware, that the lt blue 2 on the LF are elect and the pink 2 on the
RT are gas. What should the resistance be on the thermos?

So I went ahead (before the meter check) and bought a replacement heater element and anode rod as well. I replaced the anode rod and glad I did (for assuming the original was still installed, now 8 years later and very well sacrificed for the job intended!). But I could not get the heating element out as I do not have a 1 1/2" socket. But again, the meter test indicates that is not the problem anyhow. But I want to check "how eaten up" it is anyway (have the replace part as well)?

What am I missing?

And get this, and salt in the wound, I put everything back together and NOW I CAN'T EVEN GET HOT WATER WITH THE LP SOURCE!!! Forget about the electric for a 2nd. The LP gas channels thru the pipe all the way to the what is it called "thermocoupler" (the part with the 2 prong arms that hang over the pipe) and ignites it right? Well, she flames up for 5 secs and shuts down. Then, repeats 2 more times (as I have also read, a total of 3 times try). So why won't the LP gas stay lit and heat up the water tank? And yes, full tank of LP and full strength of LP flow.

Please help, for now I have no HOT Water either LP or Electric!
Thanks in Advance and I hope I can answer questions to repair the problem or problems.
"Life is short my friends, and if you don't stop to take a look at it every once in awhile, your gonna miss it!" --- Ferris Bueller ---
17 REPLIES 17

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
It'd help to have the exact Suburban Model. If you have electronic ignition (no pilot, starts on LPG from an inside switch), PLUS Electric 120 VAC, then it's probably SW6DE or SW10DE, the 6 and 10 being the gallon sizes.

If so, understand the Suburbans of this SWxxDE type are pretty much two water heaters, one LPG, one 120 VAC, sharing the same tank and same water. Atwood's different, both heat sources controlled by the Logic Board. But Suburban uses the Logic Board for LPG only.

So... The odds of BOTH the LPG and 120 VAC failing at once are pretty slim.

For 120 VAC, the water heater has a switch, and you may have another switch inside the coach. The Breaker, and Both Switches have to be ON. Then there's the Element, has to have continuity. Test resistance with power off and at least one wire disconnected. I think around 10 Ohms. Then there are two thermostats as you know. They should show Zero Ohms, dead Short across the thermostats.

I just worked on ours. Really convinced the element was bad but it turned out to be a burnt out connection in the junction box feeding the water heater. Our SW6DE has its actual connections in a box on the upper outboard right corner, looking at the heater from INSIDE the coach. The wiring ran from there, about three feet to a "push down" junction box screwed to the cabinet floor. When I opened that box, I found the Neutral side had burned out and lost contact. At that point, I removed that box, gutted it, and connected the wiring with wire nuts and taped over them as well. Used the box to protect the wire nut connections and re-installed it. Water heater works on 120 VAC.

That's what I did on the electric side. LPG side is more involved. www.bryantrv.com has the service manual online.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Recheck all the electrical connections you disturbed. Don't go chasing symptoms. Always go to the last place you were. Sounds like the control board is not sensing the flame.
For electric, check for 120v going to water heater. Also might be a fuse on/or around the circuit board.

Call me. Might be able to help over the phone. I am a good Electrical troubleshooter.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

jamway
Explorer
Explorer
Check all the spade clips and the ground for good clean connections. Some times they look good but are not making a good connection so clean them.
Happy Camping

2004 2500 CTD HO LB 4X4 auto
2005 Discover America 29 RL

James