cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Panels don't run things

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is your response to people who ask you "what will your solar panels run?" (run, as in power, operate)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
64 REPLIES 64

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I suppose another aspect to the question is that people are used to seeing solar panels that only run one thing -- for example those little solar garden lights, or a solar-powered calculator. Maybe they see a big solar panel and they think you are running one huge item with it.

So maybe the battery answer is a good one. Maybe they don't know that you could use them to charge your RV's full battery system.

I try to figure out what people are really asking, when they ask weird questions ๐Ÿ™‚
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Sounds like a cranky answer to me - same as someone referring to a hot water heater.
I don't know which answer is cranky, but what do YOU say to people who ask this?
This from a recent conversation when my MIL was telling me that their "hot water heater" was on its last legs and then needed a new one, and what kind did I like? I simply stated AO Smith.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Why not explain to people that ask that question what the purpose of getting solar panels was for you?

If I had solar panels on my RV and someone asked me that question, my response would be, "I have solar panels so I can keep my batteries charged so I can camp without shore power for an extended period of time. Most of the items in my RV run off the batteries, so by keeping them charged with the solar panels, I can live comfortably longer without full hookups."

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Naio
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think people ask these questions because they have the impression that alternative energy is pretty much useless. They probably think you need a giant solar panel to charge your phone.

The massive subsidies for oil and gas in the US give people the impression that nothing else is very worthwhile. I think it is a good deed in the world, to let people know otherwise.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Sounds like a cranky answer to me - same as someone referring to a hot water heater.
I don't know which answer is cranky, but what do YOU say to people who ask this?

I say the storage tank is full of hot water that gets heated all the time, over and over.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
2012Coleman wrote:
Sounds like a cranky answer to me -.
I don't know which answer is cranky, but what do YOU say to people who ask what solar panels run?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
All but the air conditioner. I really don't think much about electricity. Frees up time to do other camping activities.

X2 Really don't worry about power when boondocking.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
JimK-NY wrote:
It seems there are a lot of facetious comments, but to me the original question makes sense. Someone who is not familiar with RV solar systems would want to know what sort of appliances the system can handle. Does it handle a TV, microwave, coffee maker, A/C system?

That's why I believe the simple answer is to say solar recharges the batteries and the batteries power the RV.
From there the conversation gets more complex.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
It seems there are a lot of facetious comments, but to me the original question makes sense. Someone who is not familiar with RV solar systems would want to know what sort of appliances the system can handle. Does it handle a TV, microwave, coffee maker, A/C system?

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
$25K for a home system would likely cover panels and batteries for an off-grid system. A grid-tied solar installation would run around half that. But it must be noted that finding the best system for any situation involves some complex calculations. I am in the throes of making those calculations for our home, and the one thing that stands out as the reason everyone hasnโ€™t already dumped the grid and installed solar is the up front cost. We buy cars and houses, also requiring large up front expenditures, only because weโ€™re used to it and loans to cover are easy to get because lenders are used to it.

If I were having a new house built today, Iโ€™d build in solar and no tie to the grid at all. The extra $15-25K is a small part of the total and easily folded into the mortgage. Properly designed and sized, it would pay for itself long before you paid off the mortgage, and be a money saver over all.

Retrofitting as well as a house you plan to sell before you pay off the debt complicates the calculations, especially given the unsettled expectation of the buyers. Maybe they would see it as a selling point and be willing to pay extra for it. Maybe they would see the lack of grid connections as a disadvantage and lower their offer. Check your crystal ball for an answer.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
time2roll wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Stating that Solar Homeowners pay nothing is like stating your Tesla cost NOTHING also. People forget you had to spend 75k and up for the Tesla and up to 50k for a fully functional Home Solar system. Lets take 25k for a home solar system. My electric bill for my 3400 sq foot house(VERY energy efficient) runs $1500 per year. How many years would it take to recoup my 25k COST????? And what happens if I MOVE? Doug
My payback was 5 years. 6th year paid for any lost time value of money.

Sale of home? Might get a few $$$ back but more importantly home will probably sell quicker.

You must have had HI electric rates(Cal):) Another thing about home solar. If you live in Hail country, your homeowners insurance will also increase with Solar panels. Why? Because when you have to replace your roof from Hail Damage, your insurance will pay for the Solar installers to come out and remove the system so the roofer can replace the roof and then the Solar company will reinstall after roof is done. BUT, that adds cost to the roof replacement(labor). Your insurance company will raise your rate slightly to cover that extra cost. My neighbor found that out last year. Not much increase, but it did increase. With a Fed Solar credit, going solar is a good idea, but not really if you plan on moving(job or such) every few years. Doug

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like a cranky answer to me - same as someone referring to a hot water heater. You know the appliance in question doesn't heat hot water, but you know what the person is talking about. Life is to short to be so aggravated at such meaningless thing.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
dougrainer wrote:
Stating that Solar Homeowners pay nothing is like stating your Tesla cost NOTHING also. People forget you had to spend 75k and up for the Tesla and up to 50k for a fully functional Home Solar system. Lets take 25k for a home solar system. My electric bill for my 3400 sq foot house(VERY energy efficient) runs $1500 per year. How many years would it take to recoup my 25k COST????? And what happens if I MOVE? Doug
My payback was 5 years. 6th year paid for any lost time value of money.

Sale of home? Might get a few $$$ back but more importantly home will probably sell quicker.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
All but the air conditioner. I really don't think much about electricity. Frees up time to do other camping activities.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Vintage some of us do need 120 volt outlets to function.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.