cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

parallel 2-2000i honda generators together

nieforth
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of discussion on paralleling 2-2000i Honda generators together using the 120 volt outlets on the unit.Honda generators sold in Canada don't have the parallel plugs installed.some videos on You Tube show using the 120 plugs.A wiring diagram of the generator shows the parallel plugs and the 120 volt plugs are fed from the same source which indicate a plug from each generator tied together should send the output of each gen to increase the wattage to 3??? something watts to run ac for example in RV,s.

any thoughts on this!!!
THANKS Nieforth

EDIT: this appears on Electronics Point site by a Mike Swift.

It appears that you, and several others are right. The wiring schematic
for the EU2000i shows that the two paralleling lines are just single
conductor wires off of the two 120 volt inverter outputs. Their 'kit'
only bypasses the 20 amp circuit breaker used by the U ground
receptacles. With this information I would think that the only
limitation on the number of paralleled generators would be the current
handling capacity of the wiring.
10 REPLIES 10

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
he circuit protector=20amp might cause problems trying to push higher current thru it plus the regular 120 plug could create some headache.

That's the reason for making a box with a 30 amp receptacle feeding from the two generators. This can be wired with its own 30 amp breaker. You don't have the higher current demand on either generator's circuit breaker.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
nieforth wrote:
The circuit protector=20amp might cause problems trying to push higher current thru it
It never has on mine. And I've run both the a/c and the MW at the same time! (but not long)
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

nieforth
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input.As our Honda gens don't come equipped with banana plugs the 120 plug cord seems to be the answer....keeping in mind the safety factor.The circuit protector=20amp might cause problems trying to push higher current thru it plus the regular 120 plug could create some headache.

Thanks everyone for your time!!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
msiminoff wrote:
However, as others have mentioned there is the very real risk of an electric shock if there is AC power at an exposed male plug.
Yes, if you are careless enough to not plug them both in before starting either generator.

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
nieforth wrote:
Lots of discussion on paralleling 2-2000i Honda generators together using the 120 volt outlets on the unit.

Using the Edison plugs to parallel your Honda EUXXXi's will work. However, as others have mentioned there is the very real risk of an electric shock if there is AC power at an exposed male plug. Without a doubt the shrouded banana plugs are far safer. These banana plugs & sockets are readily available and it would be a simple undertaking to add the banana sockets to a Honda EU generator that didn't have them.

I have a pair of EU2000i's that I pair (and have even tripled) frequently. I keep a couple types of paralleling cables (photo below) in my TC depending on what I need to power... and yes, I also have a short "suicide cord" that has saved the day on a couple of occasions.

It's worth reiterating that the Edison plug and/or suicide cord methods are NOT SAFE. But sometimes you have to make do with what you've got. If you go that route, take extra care to ensure that nobody can come into contact with exposed wiring. Secure connections with tape or tie the cords to the generator, etc. Most importantly; Never ever use a suicide cord to connect (backfeed) to a residential/mains electrical system. NEVER! This practice is illegal and extremely dangerous!

-Mark

'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Wise Sales has a three generator parallel kit. The advantage of paying them the price premium for this is that the banana plugs are a lot safer than male to male cords.

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
Easy to do as described โ€“ wire from each 120 outlet to a common box with a plug that will accept your land line. I used good quality stuff (flexible cable, fittings, box with receptacle and lid, etc.) from Home Depot. Yes, there's a risk of a hot lead if a plug is pulled while the generators are running โ€” or getting hit with a meteorite. But I used high quality plugs and they are very hard to pull out โ€” never had a problem. My two Hondas easily run the AC. BTW, I have the proper shielded banana plugs but have never seen the need to install them (my Hondas have the receptacles for them).
'07 Chevy 3500 Dooley, CC, LT3, D/A

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thoughts? Yes, it works. I haven't electrocuted myself or anyone else yet.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Using 2-EU2000i's the way you are describing should work, although there is the safety risk of having a live male plug exposed should one of them get unplugged. For a while there were people on Ebay selling after market boxes with a 30 amp RV receptacle and two cords with plugs to facilitate what you are describing. I guess it depends on whether you are willing to take the risk.

As for the number and capacities of Honda EU's you can parallel: You are correct. I have two EU2000i's and one EU3000is and a box that has three sets of banana plugs the will allow me to run all three together, which I have done several times. I routinely use one 2000 and one 3000 together to run a 15k and a 13.5k air conditioner at the same time. I can do this with just two jumper wires to the banana receptacles and plug into the 30 amp receptacle on the 3000. The breaker built in the EU3000is seems to handle the temporary start up demands.

Moved from Technology Corner