cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parasitic Drain on Solar Power System

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Hello. I have 3 100 amp hour AGM batteries in my HR. When I park the RV at storage, I first make sure that they are fully charged, then I connect them to a 50-watt solar panel on the roof to try to keep them charged. However, I have found that the batteries are subject to a parasitic drain of about .6 amp that I haven't been able to eliminate. Hours of sunlight are of course decreasing at this time of year. I am concerned about the parasitic drain. Is there a way to stop the drain by automatically cutting off the current and isolating the batteries when the solar panel stops charging them? What type of device would be required? Thanks for your wisdom.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO
5 REPLIES 5

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Son of Norway wrote:
I connect them to a 50-watt solar panel on the roof to try to keep them charged.
No controller?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You must have a shunt to know those amp numbers. That means you cannot just disconnect the batts and still have solar.

+For storage, you must disconnect the shunt to batt neg post wire, disconnect the solar neg from the other end of that shunt, and connect that solar neg to the battery neg. That will cut off all the draws from the rig and you still get solar. Put it back the other way for going camping.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a similar situation with a 5er on a permanent site. I added a disconnect switch to the battery circuit. When we leave the 5er I disconnect everything except the 50 watt solar panel. There is a solar controller in the charge circuit. This has worked really well for 2 years. Winter and summer.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Charge the batteries to 100.0% full according to the manufacturer's tech info then disconnect the ground cable from the batteries.

With Denver's cool off-season temperatures I doubt you would return to batteries that have less than 97% state of charge. One of the strongest arguments for AGM is they do not self-discharge anywhere near as much as a regular battery. Just make sure they are disconnected from the chassis.

The alternative is to needlessly run equipment and run the risk of malfunction for absolutely no gain.

Like going away for the weekend and leaving the home heater at 72F so the cans of peas and ketchup don't shiver.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you think the drain is going to the solar panel? Unlikely. If it is, a diode is all you need to allow one way current flow.

Or is the parasitic drain in the house? Likely the CO or propane detectors. Do you have a whole house battery disconnect?
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...